• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ahh!! too much mobo choices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

namrog84

Registered
sorry in advance for my poor grammar and possibly long rant.

I have been reading a lot of threads and posts about 775 mobos.
It seems like there is so much confliction and so much personal opinion and preference flowing through peoples choices.
If newegg had 1 mobo that had like 400 reviews with over 85% 5 eggs, id go with that one.
however most of them have a lot of mixed reviews!!

I have no interest in any special RAID or firewire, I dont need wireless( i have wireless usb when I do need one. )
I do have interest in overclocking, hopefully over 3.0ghz on air.
I will be waiting until august, so it will be after price drops and new G0 stepping.

I have listed what the rest of my new complete system build will be (5th or 6the build, but i am gonna try and sell old one(current)(first time ever, most just sit in closet as spare parts)

Any real honest opinions on good/bad?(you can flame my stupidity!!) I am sure they curent 4-5 im boucning between would be fine. I know sometimes u get a bad one, sometimes u get a great one. I am just aiming not at the best of the best, but something that would complete the system and make it be very balanced and good.

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail (might wait for 8900 or 8950?(hopefully ist within 3 months of 9 series!)
$546.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
$222.90
OR
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
$480.00

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail
$64.99

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM
$38.99

Update G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
$169.99/EA
$259.98/ Total

soundcard: currently own a x-fi xtreme!
case: cant decide!
PSU: I have one, not sure if i will use it or get new one.
mobo:?
cooling: do i need heatsinks for misc components on mobo/ram/etc..??
i have switched out my current chipset fan(huge problems) for that VC-1 or wahtever, so i might do something like this on future? if needed

Subtotal: approximately $1,200

I have keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor/ 1.4TB worth of hds!

currently
7800GT 256mb
AMD X2 3800 OC 2.0ghz to 2.4ghz
1 gig ram( pc4200? i think)
DFI lanparty! yay! i love DFI so much, but they focus more on amd then on intel i think. I could only find like 2-3 intel 775 mobos, and didnt seem to spark my interest too much.

Whats your budget? the 900 antec series is (still should be) on sale at frys for 69 dollars. If you can fork out more id get a stacker.

yeah i was considering the antec 900

im having conflicting issues with 180, 900, and liek 2-3 others

i dont have a budget! yay

i upgrade my computer every 2 years. last upgrade was end of 05(geforce 7800), before that end of 03(geforce 4200). before that was geforce 2, then before that was a voodoo 16! and before that was a Monster 4mb videocard!

i try to usually spend around 1k ish, however my soft max would probably be to try and keep it under 2200ish

I try to get something that will allow me to play every current game at 100% maxed ( 1600x1200 resolution)
right now i can play quite a few things quite nicely. this is the first time my system is doing as well as it is, for how old it is.
though with dx10 stuff coming up
i know a lot of them offer support for dx9. but i dont know if i can wait for geforce 9 series. lol! geforce 8 series did some major things
i try to get my system to at least do a complete 2x in performance, in as many areas possible, if not more.

edit: hmm, stacker?
edit: argh, cant decide to order antec 900 or not. i just dunno!
edit: the prices i listed are just rough estimate, when the time comes to actually hit the GO button and order, ill price shop. though i typically stay with frys or newegg. my 2 favorite companys

This board seems to be really hot right now. I actually ordered one a few days ago myself because I did not need SLI either but I do care about RAID. It will let you overclock like crazy and it is one hell of a deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

However Gigabyte has other P35 chip boards to choose from such as the S3 and the DS3 although I dunno all the differences between them. I also dunno where you can find these "lower" models. In any case I would definitely look for a P35 unless you want to run SLI which you don't.

Last edited:
I agree with GTengineer. I'm thinking about getting that very board. The DQ6 is their top-of-the-line board, but has features that you may not use. Definitely go with P35, though.

Remember that after the price drop you are going to want to look at the e6750 or e6850 not the e6600.

Those RAM prices look high. Which set are you getting, and are you getting 4GB or 2GB?

I can't even find the 900 on Fry's website. Anybody got a link? It's $99 after MIR on NewEgg.

namrog84 said:
yeah i was considering the antec 900

im having conflicting issues with 180, 900, and liek 2-3 others

i dont have a budget! yay

i upgrade my computer every 2 years. last upgrade was end of 05(geforce 7800), before that end of 03(geforce 4200). before that was geforce 2, then before that was a voodoo 16! and before that was a Monster 4mb videocard!

i try to usually spend around 1k ish, however my soft max would probably be to try and keep it under 2200ish

I try to get something that will allow me to play every current game at 100% maxed ( 1600x1200 resolution)
right now i can play quite a few things quite nicely. this is the first time my system is doing as well as it is, for how old it is.
though with dx10 stuff coming up
i know a lot of them offer support for dx9. but i dont know if i can wait for geforce 9 series. lol! geforce 8 series did some major things
i try to get my system to at least do a complete 2x in performance, in as many areas possible, if not more.

edit: hmm, stacker?
edit: argh, cant decide to order antec 900 or not. i just dunno!
edit: the prices i listed are just rough estimate, when the time comes to actually hit the GO button and order, ill price shop. though i typically stay with frys or newegg. my 2 favorite companys

Antec 900 with a tuniq tower is what I use it's a great combo best airflow case I've owned even better than the Stacker it replaced.

I'm also very impressed with the board in my sig. It will support the new 45nm quads and it's runs ddr2 and supports ddr3.

namrog84!

I recommend every single component in my sig.

I was having migraines 2 weeks into researching the components for my first ever build which is also my first ever OC'd rig. I'm a hardcore gamer btw.

I'm not only having the best gaming of my life, but the best dam computing as well - fast and stable. I have no qualms or regrets with anything I purchased, period.

The case is quiet and dam cool with all fans on low. E6420 OC's easily to 3.2ghz. I probably don't even need the TR 120 extreme. GPU is simply awesome. GA-P35-DS3R oc's like a champ and works flawlessly with all components and Vista 64-bit OEM Home premium.

I also do not need wifi, raid, ieee, sli - so i recommend the GA-P35-DS3R.

Don't know if it's picky, but why go with anything other than Crucial Ballistix knowing it's got the Micron D9's, is a top performing OC'er, let alone on the listed of supported RAM? ;)

I had to do absolutely nothing to my RAM other than set it to 4-4-4-12. My E6420 is at 3.2ghz and I really haven't even pushed it (only because I don't need to).

Back