• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about getting a digital camera, but could I go w/ a camera phone instead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

Thinking about getting a digital camera, but could I go w/ a camera phone instead?

I have usually just borrowed one of my family's digital cameras when I want to take some pictures, but for my birthday I'm thinking about getting one for myself.

I'm also going to be buying a new cell phone very soon (including new contract), so I'm curious if a very nice cell phone could provide at least decent photo quality. I know there are a lot of cameras on phones that really suck (I've seen pictures) and so it's kind of pointless to have them, but are there any newer phones you can buy that actually get close to quality of a regular digital cam?

I'm not too picky about the image quality, just your average digital camera would be sufficient for me, but I'd want the phone's quality to be at least AT that level, and from what I've seen most camera phones take pretty bad pictures. If I could, I'd like to just get a really nice phone that takes good pictures rather than get both a phone and a camera. If camera phones still all suck though, then it'd be helpful if you could recommend a quality digital camera that's a good deal for its price (probably < $200). Thanks!

Not in the US of A you wont get anything decent.

If you know some one in Europe or Asia, then they can send you a phone with a camera, but expect to pay $300+.

So get your self a cheapish cell phone and a decent digi cam separate.

The Blackberry Pearl or the Curve is what I recommend for a phone/camera if camera or multimedia is an important feature you desire. In my opinion they do real damn good for a digital camera but are pricey; takes a picture better than any camera phone I've seen. I have the Pearl and I'm happy with it. It doubles as my mp3 music and video player too; plus internet. I wish I would of jumped for the Curve. Maybe next time.

But like PhysX said, a digital camera will take a better picture over any camera phone.

PhysX said:
camera phones or OK, but nothing liek a real digital camera.
and even with the camera phones offering higher than just VGA mode. the quality cant match that of a real digi cam

The only camera with a decent phone is the nokia N95, with it's 5mp camera. The rest are all ceap. My HTC TyTN has a 2mp camera. While the resolution is o-k for a phone, the photos are of poor qualty. The cheapest of cheap digital cameras will beat most cell phones.

Even if it's 5MP, does it have decent image quality? Just cause it's 5MP doesn't mean it takes good pictures

A jack of all trades will never beat a master of one.

Digital camera all the way.

I think you would be best off just getting a digi camera and phone. Phne cameras are okay at best as some otehrs have mentioned. I just picked up a samsung 630 6MP digi camera for around $100 on sale. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...74211/catOid/-16941/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
It has nice features and the picture quality is incredible, way better than any camera phone will give you. Check around as digi cameras have significantly come down in price and you can get a very good quality one for cheap, that will give you better quality pics than a camera phone will.

Nokia N95 is at least $635! :-/

No US Carrier sells it; Cingular, ATT, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. So you have to buy online, and pay full price.

Picture quality is nice, but thats too much money for a phone.

For that kind of money you can get a decent phone and a good Digi Cam.

Back