• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the MSI cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nebulous said:
Geeez $500 for a video card?! That's a mortgage payment. i would'nt do it no matter how good the warranty.
lol. what state do you live in? We pay $1700 for mortgage...

rainless said:
The GTX would be a complete and utter waste at that resolution. My 8800GTS 640 is sort of a waste at MY resolution (1360x768). The GTX is great for doing 2350x1600 or something like that. The extra ram and the speed would come in handy. But there's absolutely nothing I can't run at the very highest settings at this resolution with my GTS. That includes World in Conflict. Some people have reported problems with Call of Juarez... a game that makes idiotic waste of textures. I haven't experienced any problems. I don't have Vista installed... so I haven't tried Lost Planet. I'm guessing I'd have no problems there either.

In my humble opinion the GTX isn't going to do you any good.

Thank you. You just made complete sense between the two models. I just spent a couple of hours searching for benchmarks vs GTS, GTX, my card in SLI mode, (mine is single), 7900GTX, 7950GX2 and some Radeon cards. Seems that the GTX is only good for just higher screen resolutions while the GTS is fine at my desired screen resolution.

I'm going to stick with a GTS....EVGA 640MB..mail in rebate ..Whats the average 3dmark 06 score without modified options just stock options like you get with the 3dmark06 demo. (1027x800 screen resolution, no aa, original settings)

rainless said:
The GTX would be a complete and utter waste at that resolution. My 8800GTS 640 is sort of a waste at MY resolution (1360x768). The GTX is great for doing 2350x1600 or something like that. The extra ram and the speed would come in handy. But there's absolutely nothing I can't run at the very highest settings at this resolution with my GTS. That includes World in Conflict. Some people have reported problems with Call of Juarez... a game that makes idiotic waste of textures. I haven't experienced any problems. I don't have Vista installed... so I haven't tried Lost Planet. I'm guessing I'd have no problems there either.

In my humble opinion the GTX isn't going to do you any good.
if you dont have vista then how come did you test world in conflict in DX10??? :confused: :confused: :confused: or call of juarez DX10 by the way....
If you tested in Dx9 (Xp) of course GTS 320 or 640 are the bomb.

I've tested in Dx10/Vista and my GTS 320 have no change :bang head I had to slower my res from 1400x1050 to 1024x900 and with almost all settings in medium or off.. I thoght i was the only one with this problem but if the inq have the same situation: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41043 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So I dont think that having and GTX sucks... if you have the money go for the best... you will need it...

Mathersalan said:
Thank you. You just made complete sense between the two models. I just spent a couple of hours searching for benchmarks vs GTS, GTX, my card in SLI mode, (mine is single), 7900GTX, 7950GX2 and some Radeon cards. Seems that the GTX is only good for just higher screen resolutions while the GTS is fine at my desired screen resolution.

I'm going to stick with a GTS....EVGA 640MB..mail in rebate ..Whats the average 3dmark 06 score without modified options just stock options like you get with the 3dmark06 demo. (1027x800 screen resolution, no aa, original settings)

Well 1027x800 is the craziest resolution I've ever heard of. :D

I hit 12,000 in 3D06 at 1280x768. The bottom line is, you don't even have to worry about 1027x800. I don't know what kinda bizarro-land monitor you've got... but that's a really low resolution. You're going to have to upgrade your monitor at some point. Because you won't even be able to legitimately run 3D06 (which defaults at 1280x1024). You'll be able to run all the other benches that only require 1024x768... but that's about it.

You can get a new monitor with the money you saved from not getting the gtx.

lmfao I meant 1024x768...I normally game at that and 1280 by 720..My monitor is a 3 year old compaq 7500 CRT color monitor...It can go all the way up to 1280x1024.
It wont go any higher than that though

Mathersalan said:
lmfao I meant 1024x768...I normally game at that and 1280 by 720..My monitor is a 3 year old compaq 7500 CRT color monitor...It can go all the way up to 1280x1024.
It wont go any higher than that though

Ahh. Now I gotcha ;)

Well you won't be running at 1024x768 with a G80 anyway. So I don't know why you were asking about that resolution. Chances are you'll be able to run everything just fine at 1280x1024.

Thanks for the help guys but I went for the EVGA 8800GTX. I am getting rid of my four year old fish bowl 15" CRT for 22" inch glossy LCD monitor pretty soon. I sure hope this baby will run Quake Wars and COD 4 :attn:

The MSI card was out of stock..But some of you made a good point if I am going for a $500 card may as well spend a lil more for a better brand.

Back