• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the MSI cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just go for it bro I know you want that card I say give it a whirl! And remember there is always google to use to find reviews...

Heck yeah. Go for it. You may even be able to find it used for $350-400, but then you don't always know what you're getting. New is good ;)

DON'T.

If it was a $70 7600GS... then who cares. Two year warranty, three year warranty... Whatever.

But a $500 videocard is an INVESTMENT. You didn't pay 500 for your CPU, motherboard, or any other component in your system. It's worth an extra twenty or thirty, or even 40 or 50 bucks to go with BFG, EVGA, or XFX. Any of the companies with that lifetime warranty.

EVGA has the best support in the business. MSI is probably somewhere near the worst. They've always made a cheap product with the exception of the 7900GTOs they made. I've looked at every MSI product ever made first hand and, just by holding them in my hand, never felt compelled to buy one. And they've been in business a looooooong time. I would've bought a 7900GTO from them is I had the money. but there's nothing quality about the MSI product. The 8800GTX *may* be different. But, rest assured, they cut corners somewhere. Maybe in the fan, or the capacitors... but somewhere.

I was thinking warranty... Is what they are cutting the corners on. I have ordered their motherboards to build small setups for other people at a price of $250. Its been two years so nothing died. But I thought something was a bit sketchy for the deal..They had to cut something out or off...warranty...used cheap parts or the PCB...hmm

Hell I may just go for an EVGA superclocked edition GTS 640mb...Would it be posible to overclock it to match up with a GTX?

My default screen resolutions are 1027x800 and 1200..I just want something to be fast at high texture rates and will run DX10

Nebulous said:
Geeez $500 for a video card?! That's a mortgage payment. i would'nt do it no matter how good the warranty.

Well that FX55 of your was a mortgage payment (way over-priced). He has the money to buy one of these cards, why is this such a problem for you. Please try to focus on answering his question instead. Anyways back to topic, If MSI has a 3 year warranty, that is not too bad, since after 3 years you will probably want to swap out that 8800GTX anyways. If EVGA or XFX is only slightly more expansive I would go with them, however, if it is a big difference just get the MSI. I don't buy from newegg since I live in Canada, so I'm not too sure of the prices.

P.S. I have a 8800GTS and love it, but you will never be able to match the performance of a 8800GTX. When I OC my GTS to 630/1000MHz, I can come close to GTX performance, but keep in mind that you can very well OC the GTX to even more. Therefore it really becomes a moot point.

Last edited:
I just bought a on newegg almost equal as you... I bought the MSI 8800 Ultra. The Evga, BFG etc.. were almost 100 more... and MSI is more OC than the others brands..
Warranty is 3 years, but like someone said it, a year from now I'll be looking for something better G90 or R700 or whatever....
About performance... I had a MSI FX5500 that was my only experience with MSI, but I look other revews and forums and no complaints about this brand.

rainless said:
EVGA has the best support in the business. MSI is probably somewhere near the worst. They've always made a cheap product with the exception of the 7900GTOs they made. I've looked at every MSI product ever made first hand and, just by holding them in my hand, never felt compelled to buy one. And they've been in business a looooooong time. I would've bought a 7900GTO from them is I had the money. but there's nothing quality about the MSI product. The 8800GTX *may* be different. But, rest assured, they cut corners somewhere. Maybe in the fan, or the capacitors... but somewhere.

IIRC, all the GF8 cards are built by Asus and then each company puts its sticker on the cooler to be able to differentiate it. Hardware quality is hardly arguable.

I also wouldn't make such claims as "rest assured, they cut corners, always made cheap products..." with no proof on hand, and I'd like to see some if available.

Regarding the warranty, since the OP is upgrading from a 7950gt, I'd say he probably isn't going to keep his future 8800gtx longer than 3 years, so he'd be OK from that point of view.

MSI is OK, they used to make some of the best 9800 pros back in the day:beer: .

dan

Dan0512 said:
IIRC, all the GF8 cards are built by Asus and then each company puts its sticker on the cooler to be able to differentiate it. Hardware quality is hardly arguable.

I also wouldn't make such claims as "rest assured, they cut corners, always made cheap products..." with no proof on hand, and I'd like to see some if available.

Regarding the warranty, since the OP is upgrading from a 7950gt, I'd say he probably isn't going to keep his future 8800gtx longer than 3 years, so he'd be OK from that point of view.

MSI is OK, they used to make some of the best 9800 pros back in the day:beer: .

dan

I'm basing my claims on older cards that I've seen and the newer 8600 cards that MSI has released. (particularly the ones where there's no fan, just a heatsink that looks like a giant paper clip.) I'm well aware that you have a 7900GTO from them, and I would've gotten the same card, but I wouldn't hold EVERY MSI product up to its level of quality. If Asus is indeed making everyone's card (and you don't have any more proof than I did when I said they cut corners), then it's a different story. Otherwise they could be selling those old, problematic 8800GTX boards where the capacitors were all f'd up.

My point is I personally wouldn't chance it for $500. I would've been willing to give MSI a shot for the $250 7900GTO. But $500 is a lot of money. And even if the quality is top notch you have to think about that warranty.

Plus, for the resolution HE's going to be playing at... an the GTX won't do anything for him.

tranceaddict said:
Well that FX55 of your was a mortgage payment (way over-priced). He has the money to buy one of these cards, why is this such a problem for you. Please try to focus on answering his question instead.

Nebulous said:
Geeez $500 for a video card?! That's a mortgage payment. i would'nt do it no matter how good the warranty.

You actually failed to see i did answer his question. Read thoroughly Pffffffftt :rolleyes:

Plus, for the resolution HE's going to be playing at... an the GTX won't do anything for him.

But will it also help in future games? Such as better FPS with texture quality up?

Thats the main reason why I am going for the 8800GTX...The 7950GT I have now is not gonna cut it this Christmas..no no.Selling it for $100 to a friend once I get my 8800GTS or GTX in..

I really care less about warranty because lol I don't keep my stuff for more than two years.

Mathersalan said:
But will it also help in future games? Such as better FPS with texture quality up?

Thats the main reason why I am going for the 8800GTX...The 7950GT I have now is not gonna cut it this Christmas..no no.Selling it for $100 to a friend once I get my 8800GTS or GTX in..

I really care less about warranty because lol I don't keep my stuff for more than two years.

Well just order the gtx then.

No no you got me wrong...

Do you think from your experience will I have better FPS with higher textures than the 8800GTS? Since everyones talking about GTX more for the higher resolutions while I'm more of 1027x800 and 4x AA is my main stay. If I get the GTS will I be happy with high texture rates and 4X aa at 1027 screen res while the GTX will be overkill?

I play Dirt at 4xAA with max everything at 1680x1050 and get over 30fps consistantly. Having the 8800GTS 320, the only thing I cannot max is the Shadows as it sets back to high saying I need more video memory. My card clocks easily up to 660/1100 at decent temps. I can get you some scores if you like.

I own this card, never had any problems with it. Of course, when I bought it, it was like, $650, lol.

Great deal tho, I'd go for it.

I just cant see the huge difference. My 320MB at $259 after rebate, hell you could have sli for that. Not that its not a great card, I just dont think its worth 2x the money. I will OC my card and be very close to any gtx or even ultra. I know I will get beat, but in games we are talking a small margin of FPS. I possibly would have gone for the 640M, but recent reviews all point to it not making much of a difference, and like most people say, by the time it really does, the next gen will be out, and they will have a GTS version of that that I will be able to aford and beat the current Ultra's without feeling like I lost my Butt on the deal. OC'ing to me was always about getting the best for the money. MY GTS at 660/1100 on stock cooling gives me that. Get an EVGA 320, if it dosent suit youm then step up to the version you like. Just my $.02

Mathersalan said:
No no you got me wrong...

Do you think from your experience will I have better FPS with higher textures than the 8800GTS? Since everyones talking about GTX more for the higher resolutions while I'm more of 1027x800 and 4x AA is my main stay. If I get the GTS will I be happy with high texture rates and 4X aa at 1027 screen res while the GTX will be overkill?

The GTX would be a complete and utter waste at that resolution. My 8800GTS 640 is sort of a waste at MY resolution (1360x768). The GTX is great for doing 2350x1600 or something like that. The extra ram and the speed would come in handy. But there's absolutely nothing I can't run at the very highest settings at this resolution with my GTS. That includes World in Conflict. Some people have reported problems with Call of Juarez... a game that makes idiotic waste of textures. I haven't experienced any problems. I don't have Vista installed... so I haven't tried Lost Planet. I'm guessing I'd have no problems there either.

In my humble opinion the GTX isn't going to do you any good.

Back