• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket A boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

not necessarily looking for a 'deal,' I just need to find somewhere that still stocks some socket A motherboards. I personally have no reason to upgrade all the way to anything 64-bit with pci-e right now. Newegg has like... 2 different ones, neither of which will work for me. I need something that'll take ddr400 ram, and preferably has more than 2 DIMMs. doesn't have to be an amazing overclocker, but I'd like the options.

well you are not very likely to find even a okay price much less a very good deal on a serviceable socket A board, (well at least new...used maybe) since its become dated now, you'll generally have to pay a premium. I'd say E-bay or the classifieds would probably be the places to look if you insist on staying socket A.

You usually have to go used to get good ones, retailers usually only sell crappy VIA stuff, if even.

I coulda given you my old board just throw it away like 2 weeks ago. I upgraded and didn't bother to sell it. why you doing socket A, just like a 775 board that can do C2D later, if you cheap you can get a Celeron for now, and upgrade to C2D on 775 if you need, pretty good upgrade path right there.

"why you doing socket A"

Perhaps the answer to the question can be explained in a simple math formula...

Motherboard = $

vs.

Motherboard + LGA775 CPU + DDR2 RAM + PCIe video card = $$$$

Difference = $$$

I saw a thread someplace where somebody benched a lightly overlocked (2.3ghz i think) Sempron 754 vs heavily overclocked Athlon XPs (2.6ghz+), and the Sempron kept winning...
So it's Motherboard + Cheapo $10-20 Sempron + Keep Old DDR
And you won't have as hard a time finding good 754 boards either.

Reefa_Madness said:
"why you doing socket A"

Perhaps the answer to the question can be explained in a simple math formula...

Motherboard = $

vs.

Motherboard + LGA775 CPU + DDR2 RAM + PCIe video card = $$$$

Difference = $$$

Might be less $$$ than you think. I just ordered a Brisbane 3600, Biostar 7025, Seasonic 430, and OCZ 2GB plats for less than $300. Take away the PS it goes down to $225 or so. Assuming that a good Socket A board can be found for $75, the delta is $150 or so. Not bad for a system that will crush any of the Socket A systems available. Really can't speak about the Socket 775 bargains(?) out there.

In fact, it is a matter of not having the disposable $$ available for a full upgrade. The board I have currently works... but it is un-overclockable as changing those BIOS settings to manual creates hardlocks. This isn't too much an issue, but I also keep losing ram to corruption. I can't prove the board is killing it, but 3 of 4 sticks have gone bad in it. Just to crutch myself by, I ordered a replacement stick to get back to speed, and will hope I can just save up for a cheap 939 or am2 setup by the time something else goes bad. *shrugs* whatever :)

mortimer said:
Might be less $$$ than you think. I just ordered a Brisbane 3600, Biostar 7025, Seasonic 430, and OCZ 2GB plats for less than $300. Take away the PS it goes down to $225 or so. Assuming that a good Socket A board can be found for $75, the delta is $150 or so. Not bad for a system that will crush any of the Socket A systems available. Really can't speak about the Socket 775 bargains(?) out there.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I just want to point out something...let me be clear that I understand that you were honestly trying to help here, but let me give you another perspective.

It's not like I don't know what the cost is...I buy as much, if not more, hardware than the next guy...it is simply that the OP asks for info on where can I buy "XP motherboard" and that's all he is looking for, not a full upgrade.

Your post about "crush a Socket A system"...at what? Do you even know what the poster is using his PC for? Are you comparing what they'll do in benchmarks or in day to day use?

I still run several XP rigs on and off, with a full-time one being a Tax Return preparation rig...it works flawlessly and never chokes on anything I give it. Is it a full blown gaming rig? No, but then it wasn't intented to be. But it does work great at what is was built for. My point is that lots of guys think an XP rig is some kind of dog machine, when in fact, it and S478 Northwood P4s based machines can do anything you need, short of high end gaming and big time video or CAD work. I work at a bank that has 100 plus PCs...none are stronger than 2.4GHz "B" core (533 FSB) based computers...and with a few exceptions, there are never any delays caused by the inability of the PCs to do their work. They don't need to be full blown gaming rigs to do office work or homework assignments any more than the vehicle you drive to the grocery store has to be capable of running 12 sec quarter miles (replace with SuperPI) and top out at 180 MPH (replace with framerates of your fav game).

My point is just to offer the help that was asked for, not your opinions about what someone else should be buying or using. The guy just wants a Socket A motherboard...he really does know what he's looking for.

I personally don't like it when someone presumes to know more about my needs than I do and I can't imagine that you would really like it if someone did it to you.

pejsaboy said:
In fact, it is a matter of not having the disposable $$ available for a full upgrade. The board I have currently works... but it is un-overclockable as changing those BIOS settings to manual creates hardlocks. This isn't too much an issue, but I also keep losing ram to corruption. I can't prove the board is killing it, but 3 of 4 sticks have gone bad in it. Just to crutch myself by, I ordered a replacement stick to get back to speed, and will hope I can just save up for a cheap 939 or am2 setup by the time something else goes bad. *shrugs* whatever :)

Killing RAM? Ouch.

My previous post expressed a desire to help you avoid spending more on 'old' technology. We are in a fortunate phaze where there are a lot of good deals out there on AM2. But if you can't, you can't.

The Epox board that Spion refers to is what I have. Works well with a few caveats. Mine came with a dead CMOS chip. Had to send it back to get it fixed. Mine has a dead floppy port (not really an issue for me). I was not able to get the system to go above 12.5x183 (or so). YMMV. Other than that it has been rock stable.

Well since 462 is not as popular. I still found a few. not that they are good boards, but they still do sell them. I would probally look for a ABIT nF2 board if I was I the market. I have a socket 462 still running and if the board died. I would just replace the board instead of building whole machine.

I do not mean these stores are good or the board overclock well. I wanted to show. Socket 462 is not all that hard to find.
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--13-185-074
http://www.excaliberpc.com/parts-cat_id-14-sc_id-4424.html
http://www.amazon.com/Logic-SIS741-...1-9286816?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1184849463&sr=1-24
http://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-K...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184849585&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/CHIPS-Socket-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184849621&sr=8-2
http://www.recycledgoods.com/item/21505.aspx
http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=1859280&affid=10000483

Back