• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my E6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow_Spyder

Hey everyone, brand new here, GREAT site/forums by the way. Very informative.

Anywayz, I am wanting to OC my CPU ( Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz ) to better my performance when playing PC games. Primarily Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 and Armed Assault. I hear the E6600 can OC quite a lot and still be stable, so what would you gurus recommend for a new CPU speed?

Also, I was wondering if someone could walk me through OCing as I am a complete newb and have no idea what I am doing. I read up on it from these forums, but I am still not confident in myself to do it alone.

System Info:

CPU
CPU.jpg

Mainboard
Mainboard.jpg

Memory
Memory.jpg

Speed(?)
SPD.jpg

If there is any more info you might need, I will try to provide it. Thanks.

I havn't touched anything yet, so if it's "underclocked" thats how it came stock out of the box. Anyway, here is my info:

MSI P965 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

Nandro said:
Do you have any experience changing bios settings?

Very little. I've looked through them. I've had to mess around with setting which boot device and trying to get it to find my hard drive. Thats mostly about it....:(

Not many of us have experience with that particular motherboard. Go into the BIOS and write down the CPU settings and report back. Generally, you need to slowly increase FSB (sometimes called system frequency) in small increments to overclock. If you find something that shows 266 MHz, that's probably what you need to change. Bump that up to 275 and see what happens. That should overclock you 2.475 gig (9X275=2475Mhz). If that works, then check temps and test for stability. If it's ok, increase to 280 FSB, test for stability and check load temps. Continue in 5 MHz increments until you are not stable. Then either raise voltages or back down to a know stable clock.

Well in a nutshell

Your cpu speed = fsb x multiplier

(the higher you raise these, the faster your pc will run)

hint: you want your fsb to be higher than your multiplier, the bigger number you can get with your fsb and the smaller you can get with your multiplier, your pc will run even better.

you want to watch the temperature of the core cpu. make sure it does not exceed 60c or so when doing stress tests with orthos, prime95, or everest ultimate edition are reccomended.

also with the mobo you have im not sure if it has many overclocking options, you will just have to see when you go into the bios.

i dont know much about the ram and voltage, but i hope the above helped.

Change your divider to 1:1 before you start w/ the OC, so your RAM doesn't get in your way. Manually set your RAM timings to 5-5-5-18 until you find your max CPU OC, and then you can try tweaking your RAM.

What kind of CPU cooler do you have?

You're not really underclocked, but your system has temporarily underclocked you system b/c you are idle. Once you do anything the system will jump back up to stock clock. There is a setting to turn this off in your BIOS, but some people like it while others don't.

Back