Buying A Used Car

i need to get a car by this Saturday! My dad is rushing me in to getting a used/practice car so i can get around. Everyone in my family works and they have no time to drive me around . I have been looking for cars at cragslist, cars.com, auto traders and many of them are from private sellers. If i buy from a private seller, what should i check to see if the car is not a lemon? Where can i go to get it inspected. Should i even bother to purchase carfax?
    case: COOLER MASTER 690
    motherboard: GIGABYTE X58 UD4P F13 BIOS
    processor: INTEL i7 DO HT&TURBO @ 4011 1.2V (summer cool-down 3.7 @ 1.168)
    ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
    air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
    power supply: XFX 850W
    video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
    hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
    speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
    monitor: DELL 2408WFP

HeatWare

There are alot of Companys that will come to the car and run a inpection and tell you if it is in good working order or not . I have done this a few times . They check the compression check the battery check teh computer to see if it is tossing codes, check for rush/ body problems.
    Asus z87-Plus
    4670k @ 4.7 ghz 1.35v 75deg C (water 120.3)
    Gskill Ripjaws (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL) PC-2133 1.6v 11-11-11-30-1T
    Kingston 3x 120Gig SSD
    Evga 670gtx Sc 4gb
    Corsair Tx750 V2

" If that Bong is filled with the right stuff you wouldn't give a damn how much noise the cooling system made lol" ViperJohn

over here for about 40dollars you can have a HPI check which sees if it is / was a write off or if it was stolen. let the seller pay for it, if it comes out clear pay em back.

that way if they know its duff they won't do it.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

ASCII Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

i know they generally cost more, but I'd try to go with certified pre-owned or find a place like carmax, where they inspect it, fix what is wrong, and give you a warranty before selling it to you.

If you go with a private seller, i'd definitely try to bring along a mechanic (friend of some local joe who you pay) to check it out before you buy because you never know what the seller could be hiding.
    ______________________________/\/\__________________/\/\_____
    _______/\/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\______/\/\/\/\/\__
    ____/\/\/\/\____/\/\__/\/\__/\/\________/\/\______/\/\_______
    _________/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\/\______/\/\________
    __/\/\/\/\____/\/\________/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\/\____/\/\/\_______
    _____________/\/\___________
    once you clock you can't go stock
    [RHCSA, RHCE] || articles || folding stats || overclockers last.fm group

is there anyplace we could bring it in for inspection? how much would that usually cost?
    case: COOLER MASTER 690
    motherboard: GIGABYTE X58 UD4P F13 BIOS
    processor: INTEL i7 DO HT&TURBO @ 4011 1.2V (summer cool-down 3.7 @ 1.168)
    ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
    air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
    power supply: XFX 850W
    video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
    hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
    speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
    monitor: DELL 2408WFP

HeatWare

i know some people will not agree with this, but i tend to buy cars from older people rather than younger.

*most* of the time the car has not been abused, and they are more likely to take care of it.

I bought my mustang from a gentleman in his late 30's who HAD to sell it because his wife was about to have a second baby, and they couldn't fit kids in the back of it. He put on 55k in the 8 years after he bought it brand new. Car was amazing and in perfect mechanical and aesthetic condition. I have had it for 2 years now and its about to hit 80k
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by adriana
    is there anyplace we could bring it in for inspection? how much would that usually cost?
    I usually take it to the dealer the car is made by.

If its a honda, take it to the honda dealership, they know their cars the best. As them for a full inspection.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide
    i know some people will not agree with this, but i tend to buy cars from older people rather than younger.

*most* of the time the car has not been abused, and they are more likely to take care of it.

I bought my mustang from a gentleman in his late 30's who HAD to sell it because his wife was about to have a second baby, and they couldn't fit kids in the back of it. He put on 55k in the 8 years after he bought it brand new. Car was amazing and in perfect mechanical and aesthetic condition. I have had it for 2 years now and its about to hit 80k
    off topic /*
    Late 30s = older people? Thanks a lot. I thought you meant Senior Citizens, as in 65+, till I got to that part
    */ on topic

I wouldn't trust some guy in his late 30s anymore than a guy in his late teens I'm sure your parents will want to be getting a reliable vehicle too. Have they given you any indication as to what/where they are comfortable buying?
    DESKTOP
    AMD 5000+ BE @ 3.2GHz
    // GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 // TUNIQ TOWER 120 // MUSHKIN 2x1 GB HP2-6400 // EVGA 8800GT SC // SEAGATE 3x250GB 7.2K // CORSAIR HX520 // DELL 2007WFP // RAZER Deathadder// XP

LAPTOP
    DELL XPS M1530
    // T7500 2.2GHz // CORSAIR 3GB 667 // SEAGATE 200GB 7.2K // 8600M GT // LG WSXGA+ // 6c BATTERY // VISTA ULT. (RED)

My Heatware

ASCII Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Quote Originally Posted by adriana
    o yeah definitely, make sure it passes state inspection. most gas stations and service stations do this. Have the seller take it in and get it inspected.
    ______________________________/\/\__________________/\/\_____
    _______/\/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\______/\/\/\/\/\__
    ____/\/\/\/\____/\/\__/\/\__/\/\________/\/\______/\/\_______
    _________/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\/\______/\/\________
    __/\/\/\/\____/\/\________/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\/\____/\/\/\_______
    _____________/\/\___________
    once you clock you can't go stock
    [RHCSA, RHCE] || articles || folding stats || overclockers last.fm group

Quote Originally Posted by Thund3rball
    off topic /*
    Late 30s = older people? Thanks a lot. I thought you meant Senior Citizens, as in 65+, till I got to that part
    */ on topic

I wouldn't trust some guy in his late 30s anymore than a guy in his late teens I'm sure your parents will want to be getting a reliable vehicle too. Have they given you any indication as to what/where they are comfortable buying?
    Older as in level of maturity.

I can call you old if you want

Carfax is a great way in finding out about a car's history. Of course you need to know the VIN. But it ain't cheap - $30 per car.

To get a good idea of how much you should pay go to used car area of NADA.com and put in the make, model, mileage, etc. of the car.

Buy from a public auto auction - this is also where dealers get their used cars from. Many auctions have to announce major problems. Just be careful - cars here come from all kinds of places - repo's, homicides, suicides, etc. They just get cleaned.

Take a mechanic with you or someone that knows a lot about cars to the auction or ask the person you are interested in buying the car from if you both can go visit your mechanic so he can look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvak
    Carfax is a great way in finding out about a car's history. Of course you need to know the VIN. But it ain't cheap - $30 per car.
    It is much better to buy the unlimited searches for a month at $40. Also, don't completely trust Carfax. I looked up one of my dad's cars and there was some bogus info. They are also not omniscient.
    I DRIVE A HYUNDAI AND I'M PROUD OF IT!

you can do a PPI, a prepurchase inspection by your own mechanic.
    Sugo SFF cube case
    4850 45W
    4 gigs ddr2 800
    7200.11 500gig