• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Permanently Change BIOS Defaults

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Restorer

I'm looking for a way to set BIOS defaults permanently, regardless of CMOS resets. I want to retain overclocked settings, even if the CMOS battery is removed for an extended period or the reset jumper is set. I know this is generally unsafe, but I'm only planning to set well-tested stable defaults.

Is there an easy way to do that? Are defaults stored in the BIOS image, and if so, is there a guide to hacking BIOS images?

At worst case, I'd settle for a piece of software that sets the clocks at startup. Is there something reliable that I can use?

Well first thing is there's noway of saving overclocked settings in the bios unless it's programmed into the bios eeprom chip itself. Incase the cmos battery is removed or the cmos jumper set to clear, it will not clear to stock.

The mobo's default settings are programmed into the bios chip. There is a way to re-program the bios chip eeprom, but the device that does that is not cheap by any means.

Tmod used to reprogram bios chips, but he hasn't been seen in quite sometime.

Check it out here .

Nebulous said:
Well first thing is there's noway of saving overclocked settings in the bios unless it's programmed into the bios eeprom chip itself. Incase the cmos battery is removed or the cmos jumper set to clear, it will not clear to stock.

The mobo's default settings are programmed into the bios chip. There is a way to re-program the bios chip eeprom, but the device that does that is not cheap by any means.

Check it out here .

Wouldn't editing the BIOS and then flashing it work? I know I had to do that with my laptop to get it to accept a new wireless card. As far as I know, I've never heard of clearing the CMOS jumper resetting a BIOS to an earlier version. You would have to come up with some way of figuring out what to change, but I belive the software is out there.

torin3 said:
Wouldn't editing the BIOS and then flashing it work? I know I had to do that with my laptop to get it to accept a new wireless card. As far as I know, I've never heard of clearing the CMOS jumper resetting a BIOS to an earlier version. You would have to come up with some way of figuring out what to change, but I belive the software is out there.

Ppl do it to video cards so i'm sure it's possible to do it on motherboards. He'll just have to have a spare bios chip incase something goes wrong and he winds up killing it.

Which mobo are you talkin' about?...or, is this just "in general" :confused:

Nebulous said:

Huh?...he was onsite just a few days ago ;)

soulfly, that looks like what I need, thank you. I'll try them out in a little bit.

LutaWicasa, I'm looking to do this "in general", but if I'm limited to certain motherboards it might not be too bad. Obviously there's no one-size-fits-all solution; I'd have to hand-modify each BIOS as it comes along, and I do expect some to be more troublesome than others (encrypted BIOS, built-in CRC check, etc.).

Are you reselling the OC'ed boards? I'm just curious as to why you would need such a permanent change. The CMOS battery should be good for a very long time and if you're using the machine...

I am investigating this for the purpose of selling overclocked machines. I've been looking into building and selling computers, and with the market I have available to me, I just can't profit from it without providing something relatively unique. I figure video card manufacturers do it all the time, so why can't I? I sold my last computer in its overclocked state to a friend, and had to go back several times to troubleshoot and reset the overclocked settings.

Restorer said:
Is there an easy way to do that?

Nope, there is no easy way for that and worst every bios is unique.

Unless you're ready to venture into advance assembly language in decoding/deciphering machine codes and equipped with unofficial data, bios mod tools and IDA pro. :bang head

Back