• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a bad memory controller on X2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Know Nuttin

Hey all.

My X2 3800+ setup started acting very weird. It went from just kinda randomly crashing in apps to BSOD'ing while in Windows to not even going into Windows anymore.

PFN_List_Corrupt, Driver_IRQL, IRQL_Not_Equal errors were some of the more common ones BSOD screens. Got the one that ends in 7F, as well as atapi.sys.

Did a fresh reload of the OS, no drivers, and just proceeded to run Orthos on Blend, Priority 5. First time, it ran for about an hour before BSOD city. Upon trying to reboot, I got the disk boot failure problem.

Removed the hard drive, put a brand new Seagate 80GB to test with, and it gave the same problem as the Maxtor after a BSOD. Pretty much ruled out the hard drive?

Ran memtest86+ 1.65 for 24 hours, no errors. Does that rule out the memory? Ran it in dual channel mode.

so I lower the CPU clock speed from 2.0ghz to 1.4. Same deal. BSOD, then unable to boot to the OS again.

I put the memory into single channel mode, reload the OS, run Orthos on Blend Priority 5, and it has been running solid for 20+ hours.

Does anyone have any ideas other than a bad memory controller? Is it possible the board has gone wacky?

I have had a 120mm blowing over the memory and 80mm over the PWM area to keep them cool.

Unfortunately, I have had to move to the dark side (Intel) while trying to figure this all out. Have an E2160 coming, hoping it gets to 3ghz or so.

*Update*

Just stopped the last Orthos session, shut the system down, put it at 2.5/2/2/8 timings and in dual channel mode, Orthos lasted 4 seconds before I got a blue screen (7E error).

Also have swapped the memory into different slots on the board.

Last edited:
txtmstrjoe said:
I would suggest switching DIMM slots, just to rule that variable out.

Thanks. I've done that, forgot to mention it. I used to run them both in the orange slots. I moved them both to the yellow now. When I run them in single channel, I used the 2 upper slots on the board.

Back