• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Veratule

Registered
Right now, my CPU is running at 266MHz with an x9 multiplier, but unless it is running at that exact speed, it does not want to complete the startup. I tried moving through voltages between 1.20 and 1.31 volts, and they all started fine, but as soon as I increased the FSB to 267MHz (yeah, that small of a jump), it starts loading XP Pro, and the little blue loading bar freezes about 80% of the way through. I was hoping for 333MHz x9, or 400MHz x8, but if I can't even get past stock speeds, then wtf...

To be more specific, I'm using an Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi-Edition Motherboard. Any help is much appreciated.

In any case you may just have to give it some vcore to get it started, the stock voltage is 1.100V-1.372V. Although it is strange that you cannot even go up 1MHz. Try setting it at 1.37V and start from there while watching your temperatures. If you reach the OC you want then try to back off the voltage a little.

Here's something strange, as a side note, it is set in the BIOS (and I know this for a fact) at 266MHz, but CPU-Z is reading 267.3Mhz, and FSB of 1069.1.

As for temps, under full load (orthos) at 53C with CPU fan running max speed according to Ai Suite. That's surprisingly high to me.
1.272 volts. Is this a safe temp?

Veratule said:
Here's something strange, as a side note, it is set in the BIOS (and I know this for a fact) at 266MHz, but CPU-Z is reading 267.3Mhz, and FSB of 1069.1.

As for temps, under full load (orthos) at 53C with CPU fan running max speed according to Ai Suite. That's surprisingly high to me.
1.272 volts. Is this a safe temp?

lol that is quite low considering how hot quads get but then again you are stock. You should be fine up to 60C or 65C.

GTengineer said:
if you are going to ask questions you need to be willing to hear advise

I meant jumping from 266 to 333 in one fell swoop, isn't that risky?

Sorry if it came across wrong.

333 isnt that bad either its not like you're pumping crazy voltage into it. If it doesnt boot at 333 reset CMOS and try again.

I just moved around some settings with ram timings and whatnot. It was reading 5-5-5-9 in the BIOS, whereas my ram is 4-4-4-12. Hopefully that wsa the problem.
Going to boost to 333 right now. I'll post my success.

Nice, it's running at 3005.6 MHz, at a lower voltage than before (1.256V), and according to Ai suite, I've only gained 5C (now 58C under full load). I'll let orthos run for an hour and post any problems.

You may want to let orthos run over night as well. I think your cpu has more potential if you can keep the temps down

K, I'll do that tonight. Do you think I could get all they way to 3.6GHz (400x9) and keep it under 65C? I'm not expecting a full 50% jump from stock speeds on a fan, but then again I'm not entirely sure either.

Veratule said:
K, I'll do that tonight. Do you think I could get all they way to 3.6GHz (400x9) and keep it under 65C? I'm not expecting a full 50% jump from stock speeds on a fan, but then again I'm not entirely sure either.

prolly not if it isn't a G0 stepping. The B3s generally go up to 3.2-3.4ghz.

BTW; the B3 should only go up to 65 degrees. Only the G0s can go up to 70 degrees. Even then, i think that is ridiculously high.

!@#$ those dang intel IHS. If you were to lap the IHS, it'd drop 5-7 degrees. :eek:

EDIT: just read you run 4 dimm slots. That stresses the NB ALOT. It'll be harder to oc the fsb higher, than using just 2 dimms.

White_Pawn said:
prolly not if it isn't a G0 stepping. The B3s generally go up to 3.2-3.4ghz.

BTW; the B3 should only go up to 65 degrees. Only the G0s can go up to 70 degrees. Even then, i think that is ridiculously high.

!@#$ those dang intel IHS. If you were to lap the IHS, it'd drop 5-7 degrees. :eek:

EDIT: just read you run 4 dimm slots. That stresses the NB ALOT. It'll be harder to oc the fsb higher, than using just 2 dimms.

I agree about the lapping...but most people are reluctant to lap their cpus. It took me a long time before i sucked it up and lapped mine.

Back