• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVG false positives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

All of a sudden, AVG is finding trojans everywhere on my mom's XP rig (it has flagged WinRAR, Python, and a few other innocent programs recently; this was not happening 3 days ago). The alleged virus names are not turning up on any searches (save for one or two sites in an unknown language), a few online scans come up clean, and hijackthis is also fine.

Has anyone else been having any problems with the newest round of AVG updates doing this?

I haven't seen anything like that yet. I know AVG isn't the best scanner, but it serves my purposes. It sounds like you have covered all the bases by checking online scanners. I would say your fine. Just flag them as safe and go on with your day.

I use AVG Free on one of my rigs. Haven't noticed anything unusual.

I do remember that AVG used to always think Java was a virus.

I had AVG peg winrar a few months ago as well.It removed or changed one file from the folder and winrar still worked after that so...lol I have no idea.

I'd suggest looking a little deeper. Does the computer have a firewall? If not, install Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 and see what the outgoing traffic is. Also I'd suggest installing the new AVG software that scans the kernel for intruders. Better safe than all the money in your moms bank account gone next week.

She has ZA Free, but I'll switch to Sygate (was planning to anyway). Today's update flagged Democracy Player as Download.Zlob...and the plot thickens.

She's using the free version, so it could be that this is a bug specific to the free version. Although tis very odd that all of a sudden certain updates would be doing it...

So far, Sygate hasn't picked up anything suspicious (with the exception of logging a million port scans from our router; is there any way to make it ignore that?).

I haven't seen anything odd with AVG.

I have a small suggestion (small brained I am). Why not uninstall AVG, get the most updated version and see if you are still having problems.

dudleycpa said:
I haven't seen anything odd with AVG.

I have a small suggestion (small brained I am). Why not uninstall AVG, get the most updated version and see if you are still having problems.

Unlike other anti-virus clients, AVG updates include version revisions. Unless no updates have been done, you should have the latest version.

Back