• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade CPU on Thinkpad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tweak486Dx2

Jsut got a older Thinkpad R50 with a Banias core Pentium m 1.6 with 1Meg of cache.

The laptop uses Older SDRAM.

Question is I have a Dothan Pentium 750 2 Meg Cache that I wanna run in this laptop.

When I put it in it boots up just fine but in CPUZ its stuck at 598Mhz.

Ive played with every power option and it just sits there and doesnt ever change. Is there compability issues with the 855i chipset that this Laptop has??

If its not gonna work does anyone know the max possible cpu this laptop can handle? It should be pretty cheap these days.

Sorry for all the questions but all help is needed and appreciated.

Thanks guys.

a SIMPLE, GOOGLE search told me there was a 1.7ghz Banias processor released June 2nd 2003, and it was the last one in the family.

So stick with what you have.

Thats what I found too, I thought that you guys would have a better alternative.

Tweak486Dx2 said:
Thats what I found too, I thought that you guys would have a better alternative.

Nope. Processors are a pretty narrow field... Unless you have the 945 chipset. ;)

Get a 945 laptop... preferably a Core Solo or a Core Duo. They should be pretty cheap now (I got mine for five something). Then you can upgrade to any Core Solo or Core 2 Duo processor (except the newer C2Ds).

Well the fact that it boots up is the sign that it IS compatible, it is most likely the BIOS is not programmed for this CPU and that is the reason why it is running it at the low speed. Not much you can do about that unless you can program BIOS' :beer:

Guys, I think you are wrong on this. You can generally put a 2M Dothan chip in a machine w/a Banias 1M one... It is only that you need a Dothan with 400Mhz bus, and not the 533Mhz Dothans... basically any 7x5 will do (the max is the 765 2.1Ghz one). Your 750 is a 533Mhz bus one and that is the reason why most probably is not even recognized by BIOS and just boots to the minimum multiplier (6x), thus the 600Mhz. In any case if you want to live with your 750 you can most likely force the higher multipliers with NHC or RMCLOCK utilities...

I did this.

2M is compatible. 750 will not work (they're multi-locked btw, so you'll be stuck at 1.3ghz max or something). You need the 7x5 series that have the 400 fsb. Also, the 7x5a series are not supported by the BIOS so you'd need to hack them (with NHC?) to work.

Edit: even with NHC the most your 750 will do is 1.4ghz.

I cant figure out how to adjust multi with NHC??

I was thinking it was the 533Bus issue also, I wish I had a 400fsb 2m Dothan to check before I go and spend money on one hoping that it works.

Ok with rmclock I got it to 1400 Mhz. Is there anyway to squeeze out that last 486 Mhz? Is there any programs that allow fsb increase's?

If there isnt any way and its stuck at 1400 Mhz what would be better to run:

the 750 with 2M cache @ 1400Mhz??

Or the Banias Core with 1m Cache @ 1600 Mhz?

My finger dyno seems to think that the Banias seems a little faster. And it doesnt need software to run quicker.

Sell the 750 and get a proper 2M chip. Otherwise the Banias will definitely be faster.

I cant find these chips for sale anywhere? Only like 2 places have them, starmicro and memorytek. And they only carry up to the 1.8.

So u guys think the 400 Mhz chip will really work without having to use software to keep it at its max speed??

Yes, the 400 will work without software. The one you linked will work. On ebay you'll find that one for around 60, the 2ghz 755 for around 150, and the 2.1ghz 765 for 200+.

Is there anyway to squeeze out that last 486 Mhz? Is there any programs that allow fsb increase's?

Well, you can try SETFSB http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/ I've had success in the past with the one for the Thinkpad X31 in a T40, so it may work in your R50... but it all depends on the PLL (clock generatior) your machine has. I know for sure that the same trick does not work for my T42...

Note however that even in that case the max. you can expect from the R50 is to increase the FSB to 112 or 113 Mhz which would make your speed close to 1.6Ghz anyways.

Back