XP SP2 via Bit Torrent

Is it illegal to share Service Pack 2 for Windows XP over Bit Torrent?

The reason I am asking is because I downloaded it through Bit Torrent and got tons of connections to antip2p companies through peer guardian2.

~Thanks

I dont think it would be illegal since the actual service pack is free prom Microsoft. Now the actual OS is a whole nother story.
    Desktop
    E8400 Abit IP35 Pro 2x1gb Corsair XMS PC2 6400 Thermaltake Purepower 500 EVGA 7950gt XP & Windows 7
    Laptop
    Macbook Pro (Late 2008) 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 8 gigs DDR3 OSX, XP(BootCamp/VMware), Windows 7(VMware) and Ubuntu(VMware)

HEATWARE

You mean just the sp2 install files? I can't find the end user license agreement for just the service pack, but the eula for xp seems to imply that any updates fall under the same terms as the os. If this is Microsoft's intention then I suppose the answer is no.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Quote Originally Posted by acompdude
    I dont think it would be illegal since the actual service pack is free prom Microsoft. Now the actual OS is a whole nother story.
    Correct. Although I would just download it from Microsoft because it might have been tampered with...
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

depends how the EULA says it can be distributed...

most of that stuff can only be legally downloaded directly from Microsoft
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Yes, I was just referring to the install file for SP2, not the OS.

My intention was to seed something legal to raise my share ratio, but I'm getting worried with the results.

Shouldn't the whole world have access to SP2?

Well, found this which lists it in PDF format, but dont know if its just for the service pack or XP Pro.
    O ya, realized it doesnt copy the search. I just typed in SP2 and it lists the languages.
    Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
    Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
    Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
    Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI

Well when SP2 was first released MS offered to ship it to you on a CD for free. I ordered one just to have around, and on the CD it says "Share this with a friend". I guess that means it is OK to share JUST the SP2 install on Bit Torrent.

Of course if it has been modified to work with hacked XP installs, etc. then it is a different story.