Thread: I'm in heaven!!

I'm psyched!!

So my parents came up to see the baby and they brought me a present.

My dad got an old Dell Poweredge 2300 server from a friend. It's got dual PIII chips and a couple of SCSI HD's. I have the Exchange sftware and NT Server software as well plus a boatload of other apps. The system itself has a 24GB tape drive. I know it's old school at this point... but im just psyched!!

I have no idea what to do with it yet... maybe a couple of more HD cases to install some more HD's and then set it up as a file server in the house. I don't know. But it's cool as hell!!
    Last edited by phantasm; 07-24-07 at 10:58 AM.

Social Engineering; because there is no patch for human stupidity.

"There are two American flags flying on the property I reside on. Anyone who tries to take them down will be rendered inoperative." -Lindy

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

Heatware

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Now that is cool...I'd love to mess with even a server like that...
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

You will no doubt have a blast with the server, I'm psyched for you! You will have to keep us updated as to what you end up doing with the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by phantasm
    So my parents came up to see the baby and they brought me a present.

My dad got an old Dell Poweredge 2300 server from a friend. It's got dual PIII chips and a couple of SCSI HD's. I have the Exchange sftware and NT Server software as well plus a boatload of other apps. The system itself has a 24GB tape drive. I know it's old school at this point... but im just psyched!!

I have no idea what to do with it yet... maybe a couple of more HD cases to install some more HD's and then set it up as a file server in the house. I don't know. But it's cool as hell!!
    Sounds like a newer version of my server. I got an old Compaq Proliant 1600R from my cousin in law, his company was just trashing them. Dual 500mhz PIII two 9.1gb SCSI hdd's freaking huge rack mount case. It weights nearly 60lbs.

I had mine setup with Win 2000 Advanced Server, as a backup email/web/file server just incase my nix one had to be pulled down for repairs or anything.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."
    -- Fmr. President Ronald Reagan

"We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is not free, that it comes with the highest of sacrifices. The price of blood"

That sounds like a nice sever as well. This one weighs a bloody ton too. I haven't tried powering it up yet, i noticed it has 2 HD's installed now. I found a place online where i can order HD racks, it also looks like im missing a heat sink for one of the proc's. Luckily thta can be ordered as well. When i get home tonight i'm gonna put power to it and see what it does.

"There are two American flags flying on the property I reside on. Anyone who tries to take them down will be rendered inoperative." -Lindy

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

Heatware

nice job on getting a free server like that
    you should have fun with it and make sure you get a heatsink on that before you put power to it
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Asus P5Q-PRO E8400 4050mhz
    Tuniq Tower 120 Crossfire Diamond HD4850's 512mb a piece
    2x2 GB OCZ DDR2 1066 Platinum OCZ GameXStream 600W

SPC in the US ARMY working on AH-64D Appache Longbow Attack Helicopters
    Yes I work on a $47,000,000 computer that has two jet engines attached to it A LOT of spinning parts and of course... Rockets, GUNS, and Missiles

Quote Originally Posted by phantasm
    That sounds like a nice sever as well. This one weighs a bloody ton too. I haven't tried powering it up yet, i noticed it has 2 HD's installed now. I found a place online where i can order HD racks, it also looks like im missing a heat sink for one of the proc's. Luckily thta can be ordered as well. When i get home tonight i'm gonna put power to it and see what it does.
    Because of the 10K RPM SCSI hard drives in mine, it sounds like a jet taking off when you power it up

Very entertaining!
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."
    -- Fmr. President Ronald Reagan

"We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is not free, that it comes with the highest of sacrifices. The price of blood"

I'm wondering if i should fold with it, use it as a file server (wifes research and what not) and possibly a print server? hmm... then again i need that heatsink before i can do much with it.

I guess tonight i'll dust it out and inventory the parts, write down serial numbers and model numbers and see what i can find.

Heatware