• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm in heaven!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

I'm psyched!!

So my parents came up to see the baby and they brought me a present.

My dad got an old Dell Poweredge 2300 server from a friend. It's got dual PIII chips and a couple of SCSI HD's. I have the Exchange sftware and NT Server software as well plus a boatload of other apps. The system itself has a 24GB tape drive. I know it's old school at this point... but im just psyched!!

I have no idea what to do with it yet... maybe a couple of more HD cases to install some more HD's and then set it up as a file server in the house. I don't know. But it's cool as hell!!

Last edited:
Now that is cool...I'd love to mess with even a server like that...:thup:

You will no doubt have a blast with the server, I'm psyched for you! You will have to keep us updated as to what you end up doing with the beast.

phantasm said:
So my parents came up to see the baby and they brought me a present.

My dad got an old Dell Poweredge 2300 server from a friend. It's got dual PIII chips and a couple of SCSI HD's. I have the Exchange sftware and NT Server software as well plus a boatload of other apps. The system itself has a 24GB tape drive. I know it's old school at this point... but im just psyched!!

I have no idea what to do with it yet... maybe a couple of more HD cases to install some more HD's and then set it up as a file server in the house. I don't know. But it's cool as hell!!
Sounds like a newer version of my server. I got an old Compaq Proliant 1600R from my cousin in law, his company was just trashing them. Dual 500mhz PIII two 9.1gb SCSI hdd's freaking huge rack mount case. It weights nearly 60lbs.

I had mine setup with Win 2000 Advanced Server, as a backup email/web/file server just incase my nix one had to be pulled down for repairs or anything.

That sounds like a nice sever as well. This one weighs a bloody ton too. I haven't tried powering it up yet, i noticed it has 2 HD's installed now. I found a place online where i can order HD racks, it also looks like im missing a heat sink for one of the proc's. Luckily thta can be ordered as well. When i get home tonight i'm gonna put power to it and see what it does.

nice job on getting a free server like that
you should have fun with it and make sure you get a heatsink on that before you put power to it

phantasm said:
That sounds like a nice sever as well. This one weighs a bloody ton too. I haven't tried powering it up yet, i noticed it has 2 HD's installed now. I found a place online where i can order HD racks, it also looks like im missing a heat sink for one of the proc's. Luckily thta can be ordered as well. When i get home tonight i'm gonna put power to it and see what it does.
Because of the 10K RPM SCSI hard drives in mine, it sounds like a jet taking off when you power it up :clap:

Very entertaining!

I'm wondering if i should fold with it, use it as a file server (wifes research and what not) and possibly a print server? hmm... then again i need that heatsink before i can do much with it.

I guess tonight i'll dust it out and inventory the parts, write down serial numbers and model numbers and see what i can find.

Back