• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Component video selector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

I've been searching around for a good 4-to-1 selector. There are a couple that seem relatively cheap and high quality, but there are no reviews for said product. The devices going through it will be an HD cable box, a 360, an Xbox (modded), and a Wii. I'd prefer a powered one, as I assume it will provide a cleaner, higher quality image. Does anyone have one to recommend, or a good place to go (physically or otherwise)?

Those are basically what I'm looking for, but this isn't for professional video, it's for a home theater setup. That means I need at least basic stereo RCA audio and such. I remember seeing a bunch at GameStop (of all places) that suited my needs, but that was over a year ago, and they don't carry it anymore.

Inexpensive and moderately priced component video selectors are very hit or miss, be sure to buy it from a merchant that offers hassle-free returns. And many of the cheaper ones will not pass enough bandwidth for high-definition either (note of caution), let alone live up to all their other claims.

Here's the mother of all video selector threads at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=612573&page=14&pp=30

Walmart has a decent one here, but it's temporarily out of stock online. Might be one in-store though, and walmart offers the hassle-free returns so often needed with these component video selectors, even the decent ones can be buggy as hell. The good news is they either work properly, or don't work properly, so you'll figure that out fast enough. I have the Joytech 240C and it worked properly with no video distortions (have it in storage atm).

Try not to spend too too much, otherwise you should be looking for a home-theatre receiver with component switching:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/category/category.aspx?Category=155435920&Manufacturer=JVC

Price reductions on refurbished JVC 7.1 home theatre receivers. I have a lower end one and imho it makes a perfect "beater" HT receiver for your secondary TV room, or for those on a budget.

Notes:
- The rxd301S and rxd302B models can upconvert to component
- The rxd401S and rxd402B models can upconvert to HDMI, also has a Faroudja video processor onboard
- All have some sort of proprietary hybrid analog/digital amplifier, sounds clear to me with no "hiss" whatsoever.

PhysX said:
get a decent receiver then they will switch component rcas, even hdmi.
Now, I would but I'm fifteen. I don't exactly have disposable income. Thus why I'm going cheap on this. I work hard on unsteady jobs to get what I have...it's honestly hard seeing all this nice stuff and having to settle for second-rate stuff. Next year I'll hopefully get a steady job, but for now try to keep it under roughly $50

Back