• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-60XET-C - Am I nuts ?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Celemine1Gig said:
I think you're right. You should exchange your PSU!

Thank god, that I know where to get RAM that can handle these high frequencies(170 MHz @ 2-2-2 and much more @ 3-3-3; didn't see one test where they were able to ru it higher than 170, because the PCI frequency got too high for all the HDDs then :)

What brand memory is that? I have a GA-60XET just sitting under the Christmas tree, along with a P3 1.26 server tualie, along with a 120 watt pelt and watercooling setup, and I was wondering which ram can go 170 fsb and beyond at Cas2.

YES YES YES!! I already installed my GA-6OXET and flashed bios version f9d and it works!! Right now I'm running at 150 MHz FSB just for testing. Tomorrow we'll see how high this one can go(166MHz did already boot, but I couldn't load windows, but I think that was only a matter of bios adjustments that weren't perfect!).

To answer your question muddocktor:

It's MCI RAM with MDT 6.6ns chips on it. It's only produced and sold in Germany!! I already asked them if they would also ship to the US, but unfortunately they don't (outhouse wanted to have some of this RAM).
It is tested in the factory to run 150 MHz 2-2-2, but in nearly all tests it could do 170 MHz 2-2-2!!

The article is in german, but I think the numbers speak for themselves:
http://www.hardoverclock.net/html/reviews/mci_pc150_cl2/mci_3.htm

Well, now it's working @166 MHz FSB, like the MSI.

But Flu!d,

could you please help me:

Everytime I select the special PCI divider @166 MHz FSB, so that it should give me 31MHz PCI and 62 MHz AGP, my system hangs when the windows password is asked to be keyed in. But it works great @166 MHz FSB without divider adjustment @41 MHz PCi and 82 MHz AGP!!!! Weird!
Could it be that there's a fault in bios version f9d, or is it just my Kyro II 64MB AGP card that cannot operate @ anything lower than 66 MHz????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks in advance
Ingo

Hmmmm....That's really wierd....I've been playing with pci/agp speeds non stop and i've had no problems with hanging whatsoever. I'm using an NVidia GeForce2 based video card with the latest (F9d) bios and i've run it down to about 58 mhz AGP with no problems whatsoever....You sure it isn't one of your pci cards....

I'll keep thinking about it....What happens at 170mhz FSB? If you like I can send you the F9c bios and you can give that a go....I can't imagine many modern cards having a problem with agp/pci busses 'just' below spec....I hope this isn't the case, for your sake!

Did you run a clean install of windows when installing the new mobo?

Thanks for the fast response Flu!d !!

I haven't done a clean install of windows, because I didn't have the time. But on the weekend I'll try that. At 170 MHz FSB it's the same problem!
I already have the f9c bios, so I could try that too.

Thanks though!

I'm afraid I'll have to buy another video card, because I think it's the Kyro II, that causes these problems. In my opinion a Nvidia Geforce would work without any problems.

Man, why didn't I remember!!

I have a Geforce II MX lying around here in my computer room!! It's a friend's card, which I stored here, because he doesn't have a new case yet to fit all his new parts in it. And because it's me who will assemble the whole thing, it's lying around here.
I'll try that tomorrow!!

I found out again one strange thing:

The bios always shows me a CPU temp of 13°C!!! Something's wrong here. It used to be 24-30°C!!
It could either be a bios issue or it's just my board that is a bit defective!!

It can't be a bios issue as my temps read fine whether i'm using a coppermine or tualatin based processor....

Hmmm!! What i it then???

The CPU definetly is not running @13°C! I don't know what's going on here. Do I have to adjust something in "PC-Health" in bios??
When the processor was running in the MSI board it always reported the right temps, that's to say around 30-40°C.

STRANGE!

What are you using to output the temps? What are the temps in the bios?

I have the same thing happening with temps, and so far I lean toward that it must be the internal diode on the CPU not reading correctly low temperatures. It reads fine about 21C and up, but below that the temperature has a logarithmic drop off in the reading.

During some nights with CPU idling it would read as low as 7C when in reality ambient air was about 15C. Even with normal day ambients of 22-23C it would give off erratic readings as my cooling is not what Intel had in mind ;)

The sensor might have a narrow band of accuracy, like 25C-80C.

OK, my temperature-problem is solved!!

I used the bios and the Gigabyte utility to montor the temps.
Now I'm using MBM 5.1, adjusted it myself and it works great with the right temps!! I think Gigabyte uses the wrong sensor to show these temps.

Thanks though for your help

Ingo

What are the temperatures?

What I like about MotherBoard Monitor that it lets you select all the diode's in your system so its pretty easy to identify which is your mobo, cpu etc.

I'm still a bit confused!! I fouind out, that the only sensor that could be the one to show the right on die temp, is sensor named "sensor 3 diode" in MBM 5.1.
But the strange thing about it is, that it always shows temps that are about 10-13°C too low. For example full load I normally got 38°C and now it shows 25°C @full load and 13°C @idle.

But MBM has the compensation feature which I set to 12°C and now it's OK!!

Back