• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used a "Room Air Purifier" to help with computer dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
first off, i can't believe that you're looking for room air purifiers on Newegg, of all places..

in theory, an air cleaner should remove any dust that gets blown around, thus reducing the amount of dust that gets into your computer in the first place. I'm sure a good air purifier optimally placed near your PC to deliver it clean air would somewhat reduce the amount of dust you get in your case. honestly though, if you keep the area around your pc clean (furniture, carpet, etc), that will already be a significant improvement

I recall seeing a project by someone, where they took the plates out of an Ionic Breeze room air filter, and installed them in the front of their case (either a Cooler Master Stacker, or Thermaltake Armor, with the full mesh front, cant remember which). Apparently, they claimed that the modded Ionic Breeze moved about 550 CFM through their case. They used a large heatsink minus fans on the CPU, NB/SB and graphics card, so they had completely silent cooling (no moving parts). Maybe someone can post a link, but it seems to me that a setup like that might kill two birds with one stone, provide case airflow, and remove dust.

shirker said:
first off, i can't believe that you're looking for room air purifiers on Newegg, of all places..

If they offer competitive prices and quality products why not? They are a proven vendor and take care of their customers. Some of the products they do carry seem odd for what they are usually known to usually sell.

An air purifier has more benefit than just removing dust too.

I found a unit in the same brand but for smaller spaces. Which is cheaper too.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HHT...-9286816?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1185257060&sr=8-23

Thats a pretty interesting idea. Every thing in my apartment gets dusty real quick. I blame it on the over sized litter box the GF has for her cats. Come to think of it i should buy one just because.:p

Absolutely this is a good idea. Just having a fan on low in a room 'removes' a lot of the dust from the air, and keeps it off the pc parts. Think I'll do the same thing in my computer room.

icantfindone said:
I recall seeing a project by someone, where they took the plates out of an Ionic Breeze room air filter, and installed them in the front of their case (either a Cooler Master Stacker, or Thermaltake Armor, with the full mesh front, cant remember which). Apparently, they claimed that the modded Ionic Breeze moved about 550 CFM through their case. They used a large heatsink minus fans on the CPU, NB/SB and graphics card, so they had completely silent cooling (no moving parts). Maybe someone can post a link, but it seems to me that a setup like that might kill two birds with one stone, provide case airflow, and remove dust.

Found this in google. 325CFM and 0 noise - awesome.

Can't quite say that it performs as well as it is "supposed" to perform. It would be 325cfm open air but not with some type of restriction.

I decided to get one after being in a dorm room last year and seeing all of my filters full of dust after a few days (I never realized how much mom's cleaning had helped). And let me tell you, it has worked wonders. Went from cleaning filters every few days to cleaning them once a month.

If you look around on the silentpcreview forums, Bluefront has made a computer that uses HEPA air filters to filter out the air to the computer. It'd do about the same thing as an air purifier would (since all it does is suck air into a filter) but has the advantage of "cleaning" the air as it enters the case instead of sucking in air (through the comparatively weaker built in case filters) that may still have dust particles into it if all of the air hasn't been exchanged through the purifier yet.

Oh, and ionic-breeze style purifiers don't work. You'd need something that moves some air.

Back