• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows registry error, crap....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KeyboardCowboy

alright, this morning i am awakned out of a deep sleep by my brother, "his computer is broken", after uttering some obceneties into my pillow i got up and decided to help him

i sit down at his computer and there is a window that i have never seen before saying something to the effect of "windows encountered a problem when trying to access the registry your computer must be restarted to fix the error" computer restarts goes through bios just fine then enters "microsoft regestry checker" the checker tells me that i have restored a good regestry, computer restarts again, windows 98 loads fine, but it seems like everytime the computer is shut off or restarted i have to go through this again, i could not find a problem, ran a through scandisk, nothing, ran a antivirus scan with virus definations from last week, nothing, tryed defragging the hard drive, nothing

has anyone ever encountered this problem?????

should i just copy his files to a cd and reinstall win 98?

I remember back when I had 98SE/ME there was a program from microsoft for registry fixes. It'd clear up and entries that were outdated or incorrect. I'd be worth a try...I believe you can get it off their site.

I had this prob once would get the error every time I booted up. Try running scan disc thorough.
Worked for me

You might already have a program that will fix it on your
machine.

1st.
Put the system back to default speeds.
If the problem is caused by OCing too much, any attempts
to fix it while still at that speed will just hose it up more.

2nd.

Restart the machine, but skip windows and get to the command
prompt only. C:\
(Press shift+F8 or F5 at boot up I think..... I got the boot menu
enabled for 3 seconds so I dont have to remember which it is...)
(It might work if you restart in DOS mode, but am not sure.)

3rd.

After you are at the C:\ prompt enter the following command:

scanreg /FIX

Good luck wid dat:beer:

I recently had this problem on one of my machines, and I had originally used 98SE on that thing but had an upgrade disk for ME... all I did was re-install ME over my previous installation... works like a charm now. You may have to reinstall some drivers if you do this. I had to reinstall the sound card drivers and the NIC drivers... but the vid card drivers were intact. There is a registry checker in there that will help this problem.

This is a pretty drastic step to take, try the C:\ scanreg /fix command 6502Kid suggested first, that'll work a lot better. Another way to get to the command prompt is to put in the startup disk at boot up and hit F5 I believe.

That happened to me the first day that I put together my first system.

I overclocked it and hosed the whole OS. No matter what I did, I couldn't get into 98SE, and even after I throttled back my overclock, I got all kinds of corrupted file errors. MAde me think that building my system was a critical mistake after I had spent all this money.

Only happened that first time though, even afterwards when I attempted the same overclock that hosed the system the first time, it ended up working fine.

Had the same problem once with 98se. The backup registries were corrupt also so no atter how many times win tried to fix it, it would'nt fix. Had to reinstall. Still had the same problem. Ended up having to format then reinstall. Sucked.:mad:

This can be caused by hardware!
When I had that problem it was my RAM. Try the software fixes and that doesn't work try hardware.
If you have more then one stick of RAM try it with just one stick.
Start takeing out different pieces of hardware and replaceing them if needed. Try and boot 2 or 3 times after each change.

Also, after you get it working right, run regedit, and export a copy of the registry to C:\ just in case.

Back