• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Image Viewer broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Hey guys, something broke on my workstation. I can no longer use the standard windows image viewer to preview, open and rotate images. When i try to open them with it, it says the image file 'is not a valid win32 thingy'.

I tried copying some DLL files apparantly associated with it from a different pc but it still wont work. Is there a way to reinstall it or fix the current installation of something so deeply embedded into windows? It's really annoying not being able to preview a file from the folder, instead i have to manually open it with paint or another 3rd party image editor.

Start | Run | Type... regsvr32 shimgvw.dll, and click OK. You should see a message telling you if it registered or not (shimgvw.dll is the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer). If you also need to repair image file type associations...

Repair image file type associations in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

Back