• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Official" 9800GTX specs released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Colton H said:
If they are under 1,000$ I think I might buy one.

I hope you're joking :/ no card should ever be anywhere near $1,000. How can they be releasing DX10.1 when DX 10.0 is barely out? That seems a bit ridiculous in itself and would make me more than reluctant to jump on-board a new product if I know it may be obsolete 6 months later when DX10.2 could come out.

Burninate said:
I hope you're joking :/ no card should ever be anywhere near $1,000. How can they be releasing DX10.1 when DX 10.0 is barely out? That seems a bit ridiculous in itself and would make me more than reluctant to jump on-board a new product if I know it may be obsolete 6 months later when DX10.2 could come out.

That's their plan. It'll more or less increase the itching to upgrade more often.

At anyrate... The 8800 series aren't true dx10 cards anyway. They are hybrids. I can understand why the next line would change it to DX10.1.

Deanzo said:
Oh no!
Yet another thing to hide from the wife.

Maybe think work differently in New Zealand than in the United States but, how exactly does one hide a large video card from the Mrs.?:D

dudleycpa said:
Maybe think work differently in New Zealand than in the United States but, how exactly does one hide a large video card from the Mrs.?:D

No window on PC case and a computer illiterate Mrs :clap:

White_Pawn said:
The 8800 series aren't true dx10 cards anyway. They are hybrids. I can understand why the next line would change it to DX10.1.

they still play crysis pretty darn good for not being "true" DX10 cards. i was watching a video on youtube the other day and it was playing pretty smooth on a single GTX

White_Pawn said:
That's their plan. It'll more or less increase the itching to upgrade more often.

At anyrate... The 8800 series aren't true dx10 cards anyway. They are hybrids. I can understand why the next line would change it to DX10.1.

Ten to 10.1 is not a full overhaul of the API. The 8800 series IS a "true dx10" card. It just doesn't have Virtualization implemented on the *driver* level. (They couldn't figure out how to get the vista drivers to work AND virtualization at the same time.) For that reason Virtualization was made optional in DX10. Which makes the 8800 series DX10 compatible.

Further driver updates will probably make it DX10.1 compatible. If this were not the case, then the vast majority of cards being sold as "DX10" cards... including the 2900XT (which has its own history of problems with shaders and AA) would not be compatible with upcoming games and apps. And THAT is not going to happen.

Hm no mention on the number of shaders. The prices look sweet though especially with that amount of Ram :eek: but what can I possibly do to sell my 8800GTS 640 before its price plummets and not be stuck in the lurch for a while? :p Ah well I suppose it should be worth at least $250ish. Or maybe I will just end up keeping it for a while anyway.

About the actual info posted...no mention of the detailed architecture details at all such as number of shader units etc although there's a little like the memory bus in there. Also I imagine it won't be PCIe2.0 only, even NV couldn't be that silly to try to push their new mobos. Otherwise I'd have to get an x38 to have a chance at using these plus sweet Matrix RAID.

Last edited:
Hazaro said:
I wonder what the 9800 Ultra will be :)

See, that's the thing. The price for one card is eventually going to add up to the price of two decent computers. Why should a card be anywhere near $1,000?

Because they still make a profit and someone will buy it.

I can't wait to see actual ones of these in action.

Probably just some POS equivalent of mobo onboard for HDMI output. Wasted money imo, anyone high-end enough to have an HTPC won't be worried about running their audio and video on one cable.

although i would love to see this be real im not going to take it without two grains of salt and a ball of pepper until it is up on nvidia's website

Man it seems like I've been waiting forever to get a new video card. Hopefully they come out at a decent price. The video card of my rig has been the weakest link since day 1.

Mr. Roboto said:
Man it seems like I've been waiting forever to get a new video card. Hopefully they come out at a decent price. The video card of my rig has been the weakest link since day 1.

That's how I used to feel about my 7600GS. I just didn't have... THE GUNS.

...now I do. :beer: