• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Official" 9800GTX specs released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightballrj

http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/3953.html

"G92" GeForce 9800 GTX specs.

- 65nm process technology at TSMC.
- Over one billion transistors.
- Second Generation Unified Shader Architecture.
- Double precsion support (FP64).
- GPGPU native.
- Over one TeraFLOPS of shader processing power.
- MADD+ADD configuration for the shader untis (2+1 FLOPS=3 FLOPS per ALU)
- Fully Scalar design.
- 512-bit memory interface.
- 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory.
- DirectX 10.1 support.
- OpenGL 3.0 Support.
- eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA".
- built in Audio Chip.
- built in tesselation unit (in the graphics core"
- Improved AA and AF quality levels

Discuss

<Found at XS in News>

Apparently 2x the performance of an 8800 Ultra with less power consumption. Paper launch in Nov. 07. Should be interesting, to say the least =)

Karnal said:
Ehh, sticking with my 8800GTX

Yeah, me too. Unless Crysis actually comes out this fall (gasp) and runs very poorly on my 8800GTX @ 1920x1200.

It will probably cost your soul to get though. Noway that will be anywhere near a reasonable price when it comes out.

WOW. Free 4xAA is nice. I would have thought the price to be wayyy higher, and I'll miss the 90-day step up program on the eVGA 8800gtx I just bought.

I was planning on buying a new card august-september ish, like a 8800GTS 640. But would that be a bad idea now cause of these coming out in november, i just wanna play the new games, lol. Will the 8800 still be able to man handle them at 1680x1050?

That seems a bit quick for Nvidia to be releasing another generation of GPU's (No 89xx's?). And I'll believe those prices when I see them. They seem a bit low, considering a claimed double performance of the ultra.

Hey... we can all hope for price drops to begin on the Ultras and GTX's now that there are two 2900's at the top of the ORB in '06.

CGR said:
It will probably cost your soul to get though. Noway that will be anywhere near a reasonable price when it comes out.

Especially now they don't have ATI to compete with for that section of the market.

Anjow said:
Especially now they don't have ATI to compete with for that section of the market.

Well, not in November. But, they want to go ahead and get the jump before Q1 '08 and R700 like they did for R600.

eightballrj said:
Well, not in November. But, they want to go ahead and get the jump before Q1 '08 and R700 like they did for R600.

They'll have the 10,000 series out before the R700... assuming, of course, the R700 makes it to the dance. (2900XTX where art thou?)

If it's got twice the performance of the Ultra, then I'm thinking another $800 video card that I won't buy.

Burninate said:
That seems a bit quick for Nvidia to be releasing another generation of GPU's (No 89xx's?). And I'll believe those prices when I see them. They seem a bit low, considering a claimed double performance of the ultra.

It will be a year this Nov. since the launch of the G80, so it's really not that quick. I'm sure there will be a premium on the prices due to the newness of the product, but remember that it will be made using a 65nm process so that the cost of each core will be lower than the G80 due to higher fab yields.

Burninate said:

Nvidia also seems to like the christmas sale money. :D Smart choice imho. Constantly outdate your products by christmas. You're bound to get a bunch of money.

Is it me or does it seem that Nvidia is going to a one year cycle?

I know that DAMMIT isn't the greatest competitor but still..

Well guys, it seems as if there might be a catch... Maybe the info isn't 100% accurate. No one knows for sure either way. But, it's possible that the info is incorrect in some way.

Stay tuned to this thread or the thread on XS if you want more info.

dudleycpa said:
Is it me or does it seem that Nvidia is going to a one year cycle?

I know that DAMMIT isn't the greatest competitor but still..

you aren't the only one that noticed. =P

Check out softpedia or inquirer for 9800GTX, they have said the one year thing already way before you.

doesn't seem like that big of a jump, I could live with my 8800gtx. But DirectX10.1? ugh, that's so annoying. wtf

eightballrj said:

I was talking about ATI's new stance of not bothering as much with the high end cards because midrange is where the money is for them.