• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD dishes the dirt on upcoming Phenom products

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All I can say is, if Phenom isn't compatible with today's AM2 mobos then I'll be one ill'ed out AMD fanboy.

I think this Leo maneuver is just going to be a die shrink for CPUs with some getting cache enhancements. Putting my bets on the 45nm CPUs will work in SKT AM2 (most boards). Some mobos just may have issues, always happens.

I concur, just a die shrink but comes with it's usual requirements mobos with weaker pwm, jumping voltages might fail.
They said they really want the cpus to be backwards compatible with their mobos which is not a bad idea if makes people stick with AMD.

I'm cautious for the overclockers using non-AM2 plus boards for high OCs on quads. I agree with what you said, I don't think the PWMs/VRegs will be able to handle the load. Current draw goes way up on some of the low stock clock CPUs when you push them. Bring on 2 more cores and the noise levels in the VRegs will climb and I don't see that corrected until we get AM2+ boards with multi-regulation or split filtered rails. What I saying here is that the volt rail from the MOSFETS is split into 4 parallel rails each with it's own caps. Ultimately you would want 4 independent regulators but that will raise the board price by $20-$50 (e35-e70).

As I've seen on my Biostar 7025... the vregs get uber hot when pushing the OC. No telling what kind of power it's really drawing compared to a stock clocked 3600, but I believe I have a pretty leaky 3600, so I'm sure it's really pulling some juice. Hopefully with the addition of some sinks on the vregs I can get the power stabilized enough to do some quad OC'ing. That's definitely my plan.

Back