• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ocing tips for my eVGA 8800GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathersalan

Well the newness of this baby..well BIG baby died off in the past several days and would like to OC it some.

I ran into a good number of GTX users getting up to the stock speeds of an Ultra. I am running Vista 32bit ATM and get about 11,599 on 3dmark06 with 620 core and 2000 ram..My idle temps are around 48*C for core and 33*C for memory..You guys think I could OC this monster to a Ultra easy?

I have just about 4 fans blowing towards this thing in my Antec case so I should have enough cooling! :santa:

Using atitool, you can find your max core and memory clocks in about 10 minutes. Just be sure to watch for artifacts becuase the automated artifact detector frequently doesn't work as it should. You should be able to get within 10MHz of the max (up or down) easily. Then double check it with some gaming or 3dmark06.

Mustanley said:
Using atitool, you can find your max core and memory clocks in about 10 minutes. Just be sure to watch for artifacts becuase the automated artifact detector frequently doesn't work as it should. You should be able to get within 10MHz of the max (up or down) easily. Then double check it with some gaming or 3dmark06.
As a side note, DO NOT use the "Find max core" or "Find max mem" feature, it can ruin your hardware ;)

I did it once and it kept upping and eventually hardlocked. Not doing that again :beer:

thideras said:
As a side note, DO NOT use the "Find max core" or "Find max mem" feature, it can ruin your hardware ;)

I did it once and it kept upping and eventually hardlocked. Not doing that again :beer:

LOL I remember that!

And using ATI tool to find max core and mem can really do some damage to non-ATI cards..

what's wrong with using it so long as you supervise the process? It's so much quicker than running 3dmark between each OC step

Mustanley said:
what's wrong with using it so long as you supervise the process? It's so much quicker than running 3dmark between each OC step
Manual o/c > Auto o/c

The 1 time I used this, it was on my 8800GTS. It upped it every 30 seconds or so and was around 650 core (stock cooling), I was watching very closely with my mouse over the stop button. It hit around 660 and completely hardlocked, the reset button didn't even work, I had to flip the switch in the back.

It turned back on OK, but I've heard of it damaging hardware that is non ati. If you read Rainless' thread, he explains :beer:

Well, I'll keep that in mind. Within the last two weeks I OCd a 7800GTX and an eVGA 8800GTS 640 with atitool in the way I described above without issues. Once I saw artifacts I backed down by 10 MHz and ran 3dmark06 to double check for artifacts. Granted I actually use riva tuner to set the final OC the cards.

Back