• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attempting to decrapulate the CM ammo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

A few months ago I bought the Cooler Master Ammo from Newegg. It looked kinda neat at first. I really like how the inside of the case is set up. It has toolless mounting for drives and cards, and good airflow due to two 120mm fans at the front and rear. After a couple months, the looks of the outside started to wear on me. It just looks so freaking overdone and cheesy. So I figure its time to do a little work on it.

First off I cut out the stock fans grills front and back, but thats boring so no pics. Next was to take the Side vent things off and add a window. I just cut a piece of plexi and drilled some holes through the side panel and plexi. I attatched the plexi with the little pushpin things that expand when you push the center pin through.
100_1100.jpg
In the above pic I already have the edge protector thingys removed.

And here they are. I'm going to take the brushed aluminum inserts out of these as well as the ones around the front panel and paint them black. Then vinyl dye the black plastic a flat olive green. Since I actually like the case more without them, they may just stay in the storage bin if I don't like the paintjob.
100_1101.jpg

I am also gonna dye the black parts of the front panel green, except the metal mesh. That will stay black. All of the silver parts, the drive bay covers and the silver trim around the mesh, will be dyed flat black.
100_1103.jpg

If I still dont like it after I paint it up a little, I'll just take all the trim pieces off and make a new faceplate. I might even break out the sandpaper and give the paint a "flat" finish., or just paint the whole thing green.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I painted the brushed inserts and dyed the drive bay covers and the silver trim for the front panel mesh today. I was really disappointed with the way the aluminum inserts turned out. Even though I cleaned and primed them first, the paint still bubbled in a couple spots as well as running in a couple of very noticeable areas. At this point, I'm doubtful they will be put back on the case. For some reason they look much better in the pics than in real life.
100_1109.jpg

100_1110.jpg

The bay covers and trim piece turned out very well. This is why I love vinyl dye.
100_1111.jpg

There will be more when this stuff dries better and my green dye gets here.

Could I convince you to dye the mesh part green instead? Im just throwing a personal preference out there (not really sure why) but in my mind it would go better together like that.
Never seen that case before, pretty cool and I like what youve done so far. :D

Twigglish said:
Could I convince you to dye the mesh part green instead? Im just throwing a personal preference out there (not really sure why) but in my mind it would go better together like that.
Never seen that case before, pretty cool and I like what youve done so far. :D

The mesh is metal, so I would have to find a green paint that would match my dye pretty closely. Right now I have $4 to my name, so I can't even afford another can of paint. :( I'm hoping my green dye will arrive tomorrow. If it does, I'll have more pics tomorrow.

Sephis said:
The mesh is metal, so I would have to find a green paint that would match my dye pretty closely. Right now I have $4 to my name, so I can't even afford another can of paint. :( I'm hoping my green dye will arrive tomorrow. If it does, I'll have more pics tomorrow.

Well, I can definitely understand being on a budget. I shouldnt have upgraded my PC, but i felt it was needed... now Im broke.

My green dye didn't come today. I went ahead and put the black dyed parts back on the faceplate. I think it looks rather good. Black is the new biege.
100_1116.jpg

I'm getting attatched the the black on black look. Now I'm having second thoughts about the green.

Last edited:
Now what do I do? Should I go ahead with the green or just leave it black? Comments? Suggestions?

Just had to say, Google search "cm ammo" and this thread is #1 lol.
Im pretty sure thats a green CC in the window of it. I would look into cutting a slit into the top drive bay cover and putting a CC behind it. Or maybe cut out a word or something. Cutout "Sephis" and put green light behind it. Either a CC or LEDs or whatever.

Well, I got to digging around in some old stuff and found a small 16x2 character lcd display. I'll probably mount that in one of the drive bay covers.

After checking around a bit, 20x4 lcd displays are pretty cheap on ebay. I might just get one of those and put in there.

Twigglish said:
Or maybe cut out a word or something. Cutout "Sephis" and put green light behind it.

I never considered putting my forum name in it. It's a pretty good idea. I use this name everywhere.

EDIT: BTW Twigglish, congrats on the new star.

I think you should make this case like really evil and sinister looking. skip the blue ccfls what everyone uses (guilty) use some red CCFLs IMO i think it would look killer'

Right now it has 2 12in green cathodes in it. I plan on just leaving those in there.

Pic with the lights on.
100_1122.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it is coming along very well for the decrapulation

JamesXP said:
I think you should make this case like really evil and sinister looking. skip the blue ccfls what everyone uses (guilty) use some red CCFLs IMO i think it would look killer'

the problem with red ccfl's is that they are actually pink so you have to go to wally world and buy some red testors plastic spray paint and they will be so red you wont know what to do

+1 vote for red ccfls!

Sephis said:
I never considered putting my forum name in it. It's a pretty good idea. I use this name everywhere.

EDIT: BTW Twigglish, congrats on the new star.
:D

Sephis said:
Right now it has 2 12in green cathodes in it. I plan on just leaving those in there.
add some red in it, and a yellow strobe, and a really loud siren and have purple stuff ooze out of the top of it.

Twigglish said:
add some red in it, and a yellow strobe, and a really loud siren and have purple stuff ooze out of the top of it.

I would end up killing myself for releasing such an abomination into the world.

I wired up the 16x2 lcd display to a printer cable, but managed to release the magic smoke when I put 5v through one of the ground wires. :santa: When I get my paycheck, I'll order a 20x4 off ebay. I still haven't received my green dye. I'm off to find a way to make a stencil for my forum alias.

Back