• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another decent HD 2900XT 1gb review...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just now ordered a NV 8800 GTS 640 super clocked EVGA. I was going to get the GTX or ultra, but took some measurements and it wouldnt fit in my case. Anyhow, after reading this http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/3641/39/1/0/
I am wondering if I shouldnt have got the ATI 2900 for the same amount of money. And for the most part that site is an NV fansite from past reviews. Should i cancel my 8800 and get the 2900 or is the IQ really that bad? Accoridnt to the site mentioned, the 2900 doesnt take the AA hit in performance evryone else is seeing. Are they just hitting the pipe or is that review accurate? I will change my order if its correct.

Nandro said:
I just now ordered a NV 8800 GTS 640 super clocked EVGA. I was going to get the GTX or ultra, but took some measurements and it wouldnt fit in my case. Anyhow, after reading this http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/3641/39/1/0/
I am wondering if I shouldnt have got the ATI 2900 for the same amount of money. And for the most part that site is an NV fansite from past reviews. Should i cancel my 8800 and get the 2900 or is the IQ really that bad? Accoridnt to the site mentioned, the 2900 doesnt take the AA hit in performance evryone else is seeing. Are they just hitting the pipe or is that review accurate? I will change my order if its correct.

Look at the clocks on the 8800GTS they used. It's a standard card. You will be fine with what your Super
Clocked eVGA and the 8800's IQ is definitely better.

Also what resolution are you going to running (what is your monitors max)??? Real gaming at 2560x1600
with either of those cards is going to be crap.

Viper

I also figured if I got the 640 and saved $100 I could use it to get the E6850 CPU instead of the E6750. If the gtx is that much better maybe I could have newegg change my order although I don't know if they will do it now that its been processed.

Nandro said:
I also figured if I got the 640 and saved $100 I could use it to get the E6850 CPU instead of the E6750. If the gtx is that much better maybe I could have newegg change my order although I don't know if they will do it now that its been processed.

The GTX is of course a faster card but you already said it will not fit inside your case.

Viper

Yea, it wont fit in due to the position of the HD's and i have all the bays full. I suppose i could lay one on the bottom of the case but then everything starts to get messy. It's EVGA, so i suppose if its not god enough I could step up.

Anything else available other than ATItool 27 beta 2 that can adjust core voltage on the 2900XT? Rivatuner don't seem to allow it, at least I can't figure it out.

batboy said:
Anything else available other than ATItool 27 beta 2 that can adjust core voltage on the 2900XT? Rivatuner don't seem to allow it, at least I can't figure it out.

Nope and it doesn't work right in the Tool either.

RivaTuner doesn't have voltage setting ability. Never has and never will because Unwinder feels
that gets to many people into trouble.

Viper

Back