• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DAMN IT! I am not having good luck with power supplies!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathersalan

Well I figured out why I hear static and buzzing noise coming from speakers on 2d and 3d applications..Buzzing and static changes when scrolling, opening files, clicking..on games its loud when looking around or loading the game up or the menue..And this was from my Corsair HX 520..Got annoyed so I just tested my fresh RMAd Silverstone Zeus 560W..Noise dissapeared yay! No more static nothing...great.. but one problem now! Its doing like it did before the RMA...flips the ARC fault breaker in the breaker box each time I power on...:bang head

I have no idear on who to blame..newegg or corsair and silverstone

edit: tested it inside of another house...did the same thing..yeah I'm ****ed

The corsair is flipping the breaker when you turn it on? That means there is something wrong with that psu...

EDIT: Nvm, the Silverstone is.

Sorry to hear that your having problems.

Silverstone CS is very good. I'm sure if you send them a nice email or call them that they will help to straighten things out.

Mathersalan said:
Well I figured out why I hear static and buzzing noise coming from speakers on 2d and 3d applications..Buzzing and static changes when scrolling, opening files, clicking..on games its loud when looking around or loading the game up or the menue..And this was from my Corsair HX 520..Got annoyed so I just tested my fresh RMAd Silverstone Zeus 560W..Noise dissapeared yay! No more static nothing...great.. but one problem now! Its doing like it did before the RMA...flips the ARC fault breaker in the breaker box each time I power on...:bang head

I have no idear on who to blame..newegg or corsair and silverstone

edit: tested it inside of another house...did the same thing..yeah I'm ****ed

Math,

The Corsair rep is registered on this site but I'm not at home and I'm not sure of his exact handle (Yellowdog ?). He's a good guy, see if you can find him here or perhaps one of the others knows his name for sure. I would PM him before doing anything else with the Corsair.

I'm not sure..The corsair works fine..does not do what the Silverstone does but it makes buzzing high ptched static noises over the speakers..not coming from the PSU i can hear it through my headphones while playing games or just browsing OC forums really annoying. The Silverstone is still doing what it was doing before the RMA - ARC-Fault breaker pops back on a power up but its not making the annoying buzzing noise over the speakers like the Corsair.

I can live with the annoying noise with the Corsair but I am just going to RMA it...then RMA the Silverstone.

I'm probably going to sell the Corsair 520W when it comes fresh from RMA, but I will test it before selling in the classifieds and keep the silverstone after I send it in for the RMA

I like the Silverstone being that its better wired managed (belive it or not) than the Corsair Modular in my Antec 900 case..

Mathersalan said:
I'm not sure..The corsair works fine..does not do what the Silverstone does but it makes buzzing high ptched static noises over the speakers..not coming from the PSU i can hear it through my headphones while playing games or just browsing OC forums really annoying. The Silverstone is still doing what it was doing before the RMA - ARC-Fault breaker pops back on a power up but its not making the annoying buzzing noise over the speakers like the Corsair.

I can live with the annoying noise with the Corsair but I am just going to RMA it...then RMA the Silverstone.

I'm probably going to sell the Corsair 520W when it comes fresh from RMA, but I will test it before selling in the classifieds and keep the silverstone after I send it in for the RMA

I like the Silverstone being that its better wired managed (belive it or not) than the Corsair Modular in my Antec 900 case..

Math,

Uglychild may have a good point, you are having issues with two quality but different power supplies with your rig. They may not be at fault. Personally I would do more investigation before pulling the switch on an RMA.

To me the repeated arc fault with your Silverstone is an indication your problem is somewhere else. The Corsair is a little different from the Silverstone in that it's not a server type power supply but both issues could still be related to something else.

Very long shot but do the PSU's have the switch on the back to switch the voltage 110-220?

i have that same bull**** with the audio making noises when i scroll on a webpage and stuff... i always thought it was my POS amp on my speakers because it doesn't do this problem on my parents hella good home theater system.

how i fixed it though was just playing music all day.

The PSUs are both Active PFC, so they would have no switch, as they do this automatically.

RollingThunder said:
Math,

Uglychild may have a good point, you are having issues with two quality but different power supplies with your rig. They may not be at fault. Personally I would do more investigation before pulling the switch on an RMA.

To me the repeated arc fault with your Silverstone is an indication your problem is somewhere else. The Corsair is a little different from the Silverstone in that it's not a server type power supply but both issues could still be related to something else.

He may have a good point. I'm always under the impression that my motherboard is a bit sketchy since day 1 of the build. It acts up a lot such as saving bios settings and what not. I have a gut feeling the motherboard is a defect. Although it does not want to oc my C2D over 3.2 ghz but that may be because of the CPU its self, it does not reboot from BIOS properly it wants to reboot...come back on..turn back off..turn back on and nothing posts and forced to unplug PSU for a few seconds so it will turn back on normally and post. I can live with the annoying hissing from the Corsair, and thats the only problem I have from it other than the Silverstone wanting to pop the breakers every now and then during a power up.

Well guys I figured out why I kept getting static and loud buzzing noises..It was not from my Corsair..SO I guess my Corsair does not need to be RMAd after all. What was causing it the HD audio connection for the top of my Antec 900 case that runs from my XFI extremegamer was somehow split/crushed by the bottom 2 120mm fan drive bays.

My silverstone is off to the RMA place so when I get my silverstone back and works which power supply should I keep and what to sell over on the classifieds as I am in need for cash

Mathersalan said:
Well guys I figured out why I kept getting static and loud buzzing noises..It was not from my Corsair..SO I guess my Corsair does not need to be RMAd after all. What was causing it the HD audio connection for the top of my Antec 900 case that runs from my XFI extremegamer was somehow split/crushed by the bottom 2 120mm fan drive bays.

My silverstone is off to the RMA place so when I get my silverstone back and works which power supply should I keep and what to sell over on the classifieds as I am in need for cash

Math,

My opinion would be to keep the Corsair. I don't mean to imply it's better, just that it's already hooked up and running. Why tear it all out now? The Silverstone and Corsair are different with the Corsair more for those of us in the mainstream and the Silverstone more of a heavy duty server type and not as quiet. The power output difference, if any, is insignificant.

Many can't afford the luxury of having a Zeus 56ZF as a "backup" so I would sell it off here as you are considering, it will move in a heartbeat! That's what I would do.

Mathersalan said:

If the RMA'd Silverstone was still tripping the GFI, the next one probably will too. The odds are very much against two Etasis built units arriving defective.

Mathersalan said:

My audio jack on the top of the 900 sounds like crap too. I was wondering if it was just me.

Well it arived...approved by newegg and is shipping me a new one should be here by Friday..If it works...look in the classifieds for a Corsair 520W perfect condition, 4 1/2 month use ;)

Oklahoma Wolf said:
If the RMA'd Silverstone was still tripping the GFI, the next one probably will too. The odds are very much against two Etasis built units arriving defective.

Your prediction is correct...
Came defected once again omg..I am stuck with a PSU that is either defected or something on my end is causing it :-/

I should just RMA it one last time not to newegg but Silverstone writing down that all RMAd PSUs came back defected all two RMAs and just going to sale it on the forums for about $60 OBO when I get it back ontouched.

The Silverstones aren't defective - the GFI's just don't like them for some reason.

Back