• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Q6600 g0 on an Ubercomputer (3dmark06: better than 100% of all systems tested)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hate to spoil your day but top score these days are around 22k if not higher already

And saw a guy push his QX6850 to 4.1Ghz and scored around 5800(ish) cpu score LOL

So if you have 3 PCI-e slots get your hands on a Physic card and you will break 20k easily

Nice score though but OC tems Are too hot to my liking

What are your RAm timings and MHz?

I found out that speedfan temps are incorrect on my specific board... also found a plugin for motherboard monitor that allows you to read the correct quad core temps off my board... it has a nice little average temp feature that I'm going to find quite handy :D

Yeah, the sore isn't uber impressive, but its pretty damn good considering its ranked in the top 1.5k... I havent tried to overclock the ram at all, the ram is running at stock speeds... I want to find the lowest stable vcore and temps to run this processor before I mess with that...

You say you don't like the temps... What would you consider to be good temps to be running?

I like to keep mine below 50c if I can, with a quad that's kind of hard w/o water (specially in a case w/ SLI'd Ultras..) but I think if you can get it to stay below 60c, yer good :).

I think your temps are fine. Upper 60's/lower 70's for 24/7 setups is OK, and most quads on here @ 3.6GHz are running that hot (me included). Cooler is always better, but these chips are good up to at least 80*. 90* may even be OK, but you won't see me running my chip that hot. I'm assuming this is under P95 load. You'll never get this hot under normal usage anyway.

BTW, CoreTemp is off by 15*. It calculates based on an 85* Tjunction-max, but these quads have a 100* Tjunction-max (the temperature when your CPU begins to throttle). There may be a setting in SpeedFan to account for this, but I've never used SpeedFan.

thanks for the input, yeah I thought the upper 60's was fine... but I loaded up motherboard monitor with the quadcore mod and to my surprise the average temperature was measured as 71 degrees... with some spikes up to 74 degrees...

Upper 60's is fine for me, but lower 70's and sometimes mid 70's isn't cool with me.... So I took the core back down to 3.6 and lowered the voltage one slot, 1.81 instead of 1.88 and now the temps look like they're in the mid 60's and sometimes upper 60's, which is fine with me.

What annoys me is that now I have to find the lowest stable vcore all over again :/

I'd trust CoreTemp the most, but MBM may be fine...I just haven't tried it yet w/ these Core based CPUs yet. Mid 70's is not horrible, but is it really worth that extra 50MHz? It looks like you came to the same conclusion I did as we are both at 3.6GHz. For air cooling I think this is about the sweet spot for these quads. Even w/ water cooling the amount of voltage needed to get higher just doesn't seem worth it for a 24/7 set-up.

One question, and forgive me if I haven't read the entire thread...1.88v-->1.81v? That seems like an awfully high voltage to send the CPU. Am I missing something?

thanks for the input, yeah I thought the upper 60's was fine... but I loaded up motherboard monitor with the quadcore mod and to my surprise the average temperature was measured as 71 degrees... with some spikes up to 74 degrees...

Upper 60's is fine for me, but lower 70's and sometimes mid 70's isn't cool with me.... So I took the core back down to 3.6 and lowered the voltage one slot, 1.81 instead of 1.88 and now the temps look like they're in the mid 60's and sometimes upper 60's, which is fine with me.

What annoys me is that now I have to find the lowest stable vcore all over again :/

Er, a bit high yes?

Crap, that was a mistake on my part... I meant 1.481 instead of 1.488... I even tend to say it wrong when my brother is here... I'm not great with numbers...

By the way, I THINK that the quadcore motherboard monitor mod takes temps from the coretemp sourcecode or something, it is called the coretemp mod....
The temp readings I get from it and coretemp are identical to the degree and to the second... so its safe to assume that its a great alternative.

If you haven't tried motherboard monitor, I HIGHLY recommend it for any overclocker... the developer stopped developing for it a few years back but to date its still the best motherboard temperature monitor to date... you just gotta bring it back to life with those mods...

You say you're running the same proc at 3.6? What kind of temps are you getting? And at what voltage are you running?

I'm at 3.6, but I'm on the Xeon x3210 CPU. It's virtually the same CPU as the Q6600, but it only goes up to 8x instead of 9x multi. I've got 1.5125v set in the BIOS, but CPU-Z 1.41 shows 1.488v. Temps are 71-71-67-67 under P95 load.

Edit: You got any links to those MBM mods?

Last edited:
ORB listing? Don't know what you're talking about :/

no clue what you're talking about...

A little friendly tip, totally unrelated to the thread at hand. If you ever see a term you don't understand or are unfamiliar with, just copy/paste it into google. Usually works pretty good for me. Actually, in Firefox, you just highlight the text and drag it to the google search in the upper right corner. :) Sometimes you have to add a couple of words for context (ie, "ORB Futuremark" or "ORB 3dMark").

A nicer way of saying Google it. I like the extra effort though...:)

@op: Have you tried cranking the FSB without changing voltage well past whatever wall you're hitting? I don't have time to read through the whole thread right now, so I'll come back later, but I know some people on XS were getting good clocks on 680i by just jumping over the FSB wall so to speak. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, but it's worth a shot in my opinion.

Yea, he passed the FSB hole already, told him earlier. Good looking out =)

Yea, 1.8v would've almost surely fried somethin lol.

And don't let people's 3dmark numbers get to you, people like to say I have this number and you have this number blah blah blah. In the end only a few frames was actually gained in a video game for you to really notice.

There are people who use phase, pelts and liquid nitrogen? I mean come on, the common gamer isn't going to be buying liquid nitrogen just to frag some people.

In my opinion, if you're above 65% of the computers benchmarked on 3dmark06, you're fine. Gaming companies won't abandon you just because you don't have 8gtx's sli'd with liquid nitrogen'd extreme quad cores.

You're doing good, keep it goin! =)

A little friendly tip, totally unrelated to the thread at hand. If you ever see a term you don't understand or are unfamiliar with, just copy/paste it into google. Usually works pretty good for me. Actually, in Firefox, you just highlight the text and drag it to the google search in the upper right corner. :) Sometimes you have to add a couple of words for context (ie, "ORB Futuremark" or "ORB 3dMark").

Yeah, I did a google search before I posted that, I typed "orb listing" and got a bunch of futuremark unrelated pages... I thought that the whole orb thing didn't have to do with futuremark, I thought it was for some different program, which is why I asked.

jason4207 said:
Thanks! I just set it up. The one thing that I like about it is that I can see the MB temp as well.

There are a TON more features in that program... you can set temps to be on an on screen display that will show regardless of what game you're playing while you're playing it, alarms, voltage and fan controls, emergency shutdown controls.... it's the varitable swiss army knife of the temp sensor world...

Yea, he passed the FSB hole already, told him earlier. Good looking out =)

Yea, 1.8v would've almost surely fried somethin lol.

And don't let people's 3dmark numbers get to you, people like to say I have this number and you have this number blah blah blah. In the end only a few frames was actually gained in a video game for you to really notice.

There are people who use phase, pelts and liquid nitrogen? I mean come on, the common gamer isn't going to be buying liquid nitrogen just to frag some people.

In my opinion, if you're above 65% of the computers benchmarked on 3dmark06, you're fine. Gaming companies won't abandon you just because you don't have 8gtx's sli'd with liquid nitrogen'd extreme quad cores.

You're doing good, keep it goin! =)

Yeah I'm way past that hole... and I'm not letting anyone get to me... I love this computer and am very proud that I built it.... and I'm not going to try to put anyone down in the proverbial "my sexual organ is bigger than yours" style. And besides, I haven't even begun overclocking the ram and the videocards yet, I have yet to squeeze a few hundred points out of this baby ;) Too bad its not mine... it's my brother's rig that I built, I'm still stuck with the specs below in my sig.... but I'll be upgrading to a quad core with at least a GTS sometime soon.

I want to thank you a zillion for telling me about that vdroop mod... although the core itself can't really run any faster, you certainly helped me lower the max voltage and temperatures by a significant amount.

Back