• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a suggestion on case cutting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Section8

I am getting ready to mount my PA120.3 in the top of my Lian Li PC-75. I am unsure of the pattern I should cut out. Should I cut the maximum metal out(Example A)? Or should I leave some metal in between for structural integrity(Example B)? I have a FG120.3 Radiator Grill cover that will go on the top of the case afterwards.

Example A:
case2.jpg

Example B:
case1.jpg

Thanks for any input :)

I would just do like A and carve out the entire shape for the most airflow. That is what I did. If you want a better template, here is one that I used for mine that I got off of a member at XS a while back. I had to print it out without scaling on a few pages and then tape it together. It doesn't have screw holes marked however.

Template

The case, once sandwiched between the rad and grill (if thats how you are installing it), will have nearly the same strength, as well as the same rigidness to it when it was still whole.

voigts said:
I would just do like A and carve out the entire shape for the most airflow. That is what I did. If you want a better template, here is one that I used for mine that I got off of a member at XS a while back. I had to print it out without scaling on a few pages and then tape it together. It doesn't have screw holes marked however.

Template

WOW.. cool thank you very much.

so how are you going to be cutting it? I was contemplating it for my CM 830, but I dont know how Id really do it. jigsaw seems like an obvious choice? but Im afraid it might come out rough.

I dremeled option A into the top of a Antec P180 and it went beautifully even though I was cutting through metal and plastic. That would be my advice if you want to get a nice edge, dremel are more precise than jigsaws unless you have some mad jigsaw skills.

Edit: Definitely do option A, you don't gain much from having the bars across.

Back