• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please advise me on this build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewToThisOC

Registered
I'm in the market for a new PC and wanted to give building a try since I'll save a lot more money. I tried putting the components of this build as futureproof as possible for the new Intel 45nm chips. I also don't really care about SLI so I chose a P35 mobo. Any help will be appreciated.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...ListNumber=7829227&WishListTitle=1st+PC+Build

There's no case yet because I'm still thinking about which to get. I don't really care about portability because I won't be moving it. I mainly want one that is big enough to allow great airflow and room to remove/add components. I'm mostly worried about the mobo and memory. Should I go with PC8500 RAM or stick with what I got? I went to Gigabyte's site to see if PC8500 RAM is supported but I can't read the whole PDF file for some reason. I noticed that some of the PC8500 compatible memory was only supporting 2GB on this mobo. Am I limited to only 2GB if I choose any of the higher memory?

If you don't want sli/crossfire and some of the features dq6 you could get Gigabyte ds3 for 100 bucks less.

You picked e6850 but for the same price you could get Q6600.

You might consider getting different cpu cooler.

As other suggested some things to consider crucial ballistix and corsair 620w psu.

The DS3 doesn't support Penryn though. I chose a P35 board because I wanted the higher FSB and it's futureproof abilities with the new Intel chips. If 8 years from now I want to get one, I can get the 45nm chips when they are cheaper and just slap it into this board. That way I don't have to change much. I'm really not looking at a lot of OCing to start out with. This is my first time building a PC and it will take me a little while to figure out what I am doing.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I might go with different RAM and PSU.

8 year? in 8 years there wont be any 45nm chips.. they will be down to like.. 15nm.. and have twenty cores.

I would advise you to go with vista instead of XP. It's the same price and the performance differences are slowly getting evened out now. With that rig, vista's current slight droop in performance won't even be noticed.

You want to futureproof yourself too because without vista you can't run DX10 for that graphics card.

NewToThisOC said:
Yes, but they'll be super cheap

:)
and they'll be super crappy, and I'm saying this with experience after owning the same pc for four years and another one for seven. in 8 years, 45nm penryn processors won't even be worth buying; you could probably get one for free from a friend :shrug:

The DS3 doesn't support Penryn though.
I think meionm meant to say the ds3r, gigabyte p35-ds3r. it's much cheaper than the p35-dq6, yet offers most of the features of the $100 more dq6

shirker said:
and they'll be super crappy, and I'm saying this with experience after owning the same pc for four years and another one for seven. in 8 years, 45nm penryn processors won't even be worth buying; you could probably get one for free from a friend :shrug:
I concur... My most recent system is almost 3 years old now, using some 5 year old parts.

I already have Vista Ultimate Upgrade so I'll stick with XP until games really need Vista.

A few other things concern me. Yes, I know that this is overclockers.com but I'm really not comfortable doing any of that yet. Doing my homework for putting together my own PC is more work than I thought. I see that a lot of people recommend the ds3, but it doesn't have Firewire which I need. Am I seeing this the wrong way? Does the board offer no Firewire support at all or is it only no onboard Firewire support?

Right now I'm in the air about 6850 vs Q6600. Yes I could go Q6600 and OC it to 6850 levels, but I'm a newbie and am afraid that I'll break something while trying to learn as I go. All I really want is something that will last 4-5 years and be capable to do some upgrades along the way if need be. I don't need RAID, SLI, or water cooling.

What mobo/CPU cooler combo would work great together with a Q6600? Or an E6850 if I decide to go that route?

Sorry if I sound like a Panicky Pete but PC building is very new to me. I know the ins and outs as far as the components are concerned but people who visit this site know which of these components work the best together.

I adjusted my initial link to my build. How does it look now and do I need to add anything? Fans, GPU coolers, etc????

NewToThisOC said:
Doing my homework for putting together my own PC is more work than I thought. I see that a lot of people recommend the ds3, but it doesn't have Firewire which I need. Am I seeing this the wrong way? Does the board offer no Firewire support at all or is it only no onboard Firewire support?

Right now I'm in the air about 6850 vs Q6600. Yes I could go Q6600 and OC it to 6850 levels, but I'm a newbie and am afraid that I'll break something while trying to learn as I go. All I really want is something that will last 4-5 years and be capable to do some upgrades along the way if need be. I don't need RAID, SLI, or water cooling.

What mobo/CPU cooler combo would work great together with a Q6600? Or an E6850 if I decide to go that route?
inch by inch everything is a cinch, and that same principle applies to beginner pc building. take your time, do research, plan everything out, and after some hard work you'll be rewarded with your first build.

firewire - since it sounds like you need it, get a gigabyte p35-ds3p for $150 or an abit ip35 pro for $185. both are excellent boards; they're a slight step up from the DS3R.

cpu choice - personally, If you want your cpu to last "4-5 years", definitely get a quad core. programs will only continue to utilize quad-cores more efficiently, and soon enough, having those two extra cores will be greatly beneficial over a e6850 with faster clock speeds.

overclocking - if you're a newbie, you can still get a good overclock without delving too much into various tweaks and settings. for a simple overclock, a Q6600 will surely run at 3-3.2GHz. If you want to get further into the process, you can bring that up to around 3.4-3.5GHz. On a E6850, a newbie could easily get it to 3.5-3.6GHz, but with more time and effort you could ramp that up to around 4GHz.

cooling - one of the most important aspects of overclocking, you NEED a good cpu cooler. I'd recommend a thermalright ultra-120 extreme or a tuniq tower 120. as for gpu cooling, get a thermalright HR-03 plus to replace your stock gpu cooler. you will get lower temps across the board, and have that much more room for overclocking (8800 ultra speeds, even)

I've been reading up on the new Cooler Master Cosmos and from what I read, I like it a lot. Love the toolless drive and optical cages. Some reviews are saying that there isn't room for HDD cooling, but I'll only use 1 HDD. I won't be going to LAN parties so its weight isn't a factor. It's expensive but seems well built and large enough to work in without having to remove anything. It's a full tower but do you think that the added CPU and GPU coolers will interfere with the case design?

NewToThisOC said:
It's a full tower but do you think that the added CPU and GPU coolers will interfere with the case design?
in a full tower, absolutely not, as long as you maintain airflow throughout the case. If it's a skinny little thing, then there could be problems with the thermalright ultra-120 extreme, but I highly, highly doubt that any full tower wouldn't be able to fit that. as for the hr-03 plus, they'll basically fit in any mid or full tower case, although it might make things a bit more cramped. you could fit both the thermalright vga and cpu coolers in a good mid tower case, so a full tower should be no sweat

How much is that case? To me it seems like just another superfluous case design from CoolerMaster... Meant to look pretty more than anything. The only case I really like by CM is the black Stacker 830 Evo, but I'd never buy one personally.

I think around $175-195. Thing is that this one isn't all that much to look at. No side window, case lights, etc...Every review that I've read said the same things.

Pros
-VERY quiet
-top quality build
-tons of space to work or add new components
-removable VGA cooling tunnel that helps airflow

Cons
-expensive
-steel build (Heavy)
-limited HDD cooling
-more room behind the right side panel for better cable management

Back