• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to overclock, really, sliders stuck! (7900GT)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipasnipa

So the summer has been pretty dry as far as PC gaming goes, so I haven't done much fiddling around with my video card. Yesterday I started up Overlord and went to check out ATITools while Overlord was running in the background: Strange, the clocks were at the default 2D level (450 gpu, 650 mem). Shut off Overlord and tried to load one of my overclocked profiles (620 gpu, 850 mem), but nothing happened. The sliders were stuck at default. Tried moving them up and setting, and nothing. The clocks would not budge from 2D mode.

Figuring it was a problem with ATITool (which I have used very successfully to overlock this card), I closed it and loaded up RivaTuner - No matter what clock I set for either GPU or mem, RivaTuner reported that it failed testing. Even setting it below the 2D default, it would not pass the test. Tried again with NVtuner and no go, clocks stuck. After a few restarts, reseating the card, making sure nothing was running in overlay mode that might interfere with testing new clock speeds, running different DX9 and OpenGL games, I'm stumped. The card seems stuck in 2D clocks mode.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Any ideas?

Not sure about Nvidia but ATI cards will always show 2D clocks when there is no graphic intensive app being run. Perhaps Nvidia does the same thing.

Even when you alt-tab or minimize a game all you will see is 2D clock speeds as thats all thats being used when you are not actually in the app.

As for your other issues, I cannot say.

Back