• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

42" LCD TV SIDE BY SIDE REVIEWS??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haha.. yah, I know I just may :). I think the 42"will fit better though. I only had a 1" clearance from top to bottom. Boy did that make it a pain to mount!

I'm also pretty sure I saw some Ghosting on the 47"6.5ms display which I did not see on the 42"8ms

Plus I really can't afford to be spending a extra $300 especially after I think my Video card on my HTPC crapped out on me last night. My GF is going to bring it in to my shop in a bit so I'll be ripping that apart today..Blah

BTW the "Head guy" at Costco was asking me why I wanted a Phillips and was compairing it to the VIZIO ..Telling me it was bottom of the line in quality.I don't beleive the VIZIO comes close to the Phillips.

rUfUnKy said:
Ok, so I couldn't wait ..I picked up the 47" Phillips.. The thing hardly fits above my fireplace.. I think I'm going to wait a week till they have the 42" back in stock and return this one. I'm useing s-video out from my PC now so I cant comment much on the PQ. S-video max res is 1024 x 768 so I'm now running a res of 800 X 600 for a better fit :S

I would not recommend putting a TV above a fireplace.

HEAT kills electronics.

lol yah, I read a good portion of that thread I def agree. He obviously wanted to sell me a higher priced Sharp,Samsung, Sony etc.

PS
I will be receiving my DVI to HDMI cable from newegg today! :)

It was $41.32 shipped :X. I needed a 25ft cable.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16812105013
What a nice cable it is though :)

Did you happen to get your cable yet? Not sure if my HTPC is on the fritz or its my Phillips. If I turn off the LCD and leave my PC running when I go back a little while later to turn on the LCD back on I get "no signal".

Even when I toggle through the source and reselect the HTMI port I'm using.I only get it back if I reboot.

rUfUnKy said:
BTW the "Head guy" at Costco was asking me why I wanted a Phillips and was compairing it to the VIZIO ..Telling me it was bottom of the line in quality.I don't beleive the VIZIO comes close to the Phillips.
That is total BS, lol, the Costco nearby had the Vizio sitting right next to the Phillips. I guess Costco doesn't want to sell the Vizios too bad cause it gets crushed by the Phillips. No contest.

So far I don't see any ghosting/clouding in the Phillips, but it seems luck of the draw.

Phillips? *shudder*

I'd stay away from both brands. Phillips is one of the last brands you ever buy right next to Sony.

What do you prefer for LCD's then? Before this, the only two I could personally stand were Sony and Sharp. I don't know how they hold up in the long-term or anything like that but their contrast and clarity is a cut above the rest. The Phillips is in the same class IMHO. I go by what my eyes tell me and nothing else.

As said before i wouldn't use an LCD/Plasma above a fireplace.

I got a sony rear-LCD which is nice non hdtv. And a JVC 32 tube which is just nice and has more vibrant colors.

Gautam said:
That is total BS, lol, the Costco nearby had the Vizio sitting right next to the Phillips. I guess Costco doesn't want to sell the Vizios too bad cause it gets crushed by the Phillips. No contest.

So far I don't see any ghosting/clouding in the Phillips, but it seems luck of the draw.

I agree, They have them side by side at the place I picked mine up too.

The ghosting only seemed to appear on the 47" model. I did not see it at all on the 42". I am also getting the "Flashlight" effect. Said to be caused by uneven or over tightening of the screen.

JamesXP said:
As said before i wouldn't use an LCD/Plasma above a fireplace.

I totally agree, it's not the BEST place to put one. But the wow factor holds true to the look of a flat screen hanging over a nice fire..lol

Honestly It should be fine, most of the heat going up should be deflected by the mantle. Picture bellow(Don't mind the mess ..;))

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3937oq8.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard it relly doesn't play well with it i'm sure a more tech. inclined person should know do a googler.

It depends. My dad has his 46" Sony Bravia XBR2 above his fireplace. I was worried at first too but LCDs are way more energy efficient than plasmas and output a lot less heat. Also, my dads fireplace is gas, not wood, and it is well ventilated and insulated. You really cant fell any heat on the wall above the fireplace. So far he hasn't had any problems, and the TV doesn't seem unusually hot. However, if you have a wood fireplace or if its old and the insulation is not what it used to be I would be weary.

Last edited:
just get a new one if it blows. They have the money to kill the TV by putting it on top of a fireplace :)

Morvak said:
Phillips? *shudder*

I'd stay away from both brands. Phillips is one of the last brands you ever buy right next to Sony.
This is just more FUD without any supporting facts.

Mine was right next to a Sony and looked every bit as good.

I don't think the Phillips's black level will be able to match Sony, when calibrated correctly (not in store diplay, when not calibrated). But it's a good priced LCD TV.

nakatalee said:
I don't think the Phillips' black level will be able to match Sony, when calibrated correctly (not in store diplay, when not calibrated). But it's a good priced LCD TV.
Mine is running default settings for now and blacks look good and black in a darkened room. Eventually I'll find a good calibration disk and see how it does.

No LCDs are perfect yet and this Philips isn't the best there is but it's the PQ bang for the buck choice IMHO compared to what I saw at Costco & CC. I'm going by what I've seen with my own eyes and not just repeating what others have said.

There's no doubt you could get a better panel, but not for these prices.

Back