• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

42" LCD TV SIDE BY SIDE REVIEWS??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

Does anyone know a good place to find SIDE BY SIDE REVIEWS on 42"+ LCD TV's ?

No, but I highly recommend the LCD display section of avsforum.com if you want input from people that actually use displays every day for their intended purpose, rather than review sites that just run a bunch of blahblahthankyounext tests.

It's alot of reading sometimes (many of their threads can go to 100+ pages on a single device), but I promise it's worth it. I'm in the process of moving and have redesigned my home theater system and have been spending alot of time over there and the amount of info is overwhelming at times. On the other hand, I've got a small notebook filled with stuff that I can't wait to try once I get it all pieced back together :]

Yes, some Veryyy long threads indeed.

Seems as though there is all you need to know in there once you sort through it though. I too am redesigning my home theater system . I actually just ordered a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 from what I had already read it seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Next I will be overhauling the HTPC. Unfortunately, Money is always the first thing to get in the way.

Here's the one I want, 47" 1080p $1700 in store or $1800 shipped online purchase.

The 1080p 42" model is $300 less. (in store, not online)

These units don't have Ambilight if that's anything you must have. I don't want to spend the extra $$$ for pretty edge lighting around the screen even if it's kinda cool.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10605-Cat2341&topnav=

It's more than I really wanted to spend but I'm tired of that little crappy Apex 20" crt TV we're using now LOL.

I'm hoping this one will last several years.

There is also an upscaling DVD player by Philips for cheap that should make 480p DVDs less painful to watch LOL.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=AJCQHXKIVNBIHJ0RMRCSHQFHKFSESI5P

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice LCD. Did you consider the Westinghouse LVM-42W2? (price at NewEgg is $1314.97 shipped and a free matrix wall mount) If so..out of curiosity, what made you decide on the Philips ?

Bulk Item Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

This is our Detailed Bulk Item Return Policy. Bulk Items (including but not limited to such items as Air Conditioners, Home Entertainment Systems and Televisions 24 inches and larger) cannot be returned to Newegg.com for refund or replacement service. Therefore, you are urged to carefully examine the box your bulk item ships in before signing for the package. Should you observe any damage to the shipping box, or if the wrong product was sent, you must refuse delivery while the shipping courier is still on the premises. The item will be returned to Newegg.com and you will be refunded the full amount, including applicable shipping costs and tax.

If you determine upon inspection that the condition of the shipping box is satisfactory, an adult is required to sign the shipping courier's release form to complete delivery. By signing this release, you are acknowledging and agreeing to Newegg.com's Terms and Conditions, understanding that you cannot return the television to Newegg.com and that the condition of the delivery meets your expectations. After delivery, please read all included documentation and/or contact the manufacturer directly to determine applicable warranty coverage, if any.

The 42" 1080p Philips doesn't cost much more ($1399) and has better PQ and reviews.

Costco has a 90 day return policy and a 2 year warranty.

BTW I just watched 3 DVD movies on that 47" LCD and the upscaling DVD player I linked above.

Absolutely outstanding video quality. I haven't seen these movies in such detail since I originally saw them in the theater.

I can't wait until the HD format war is over and the winning format (BluRay or HD-DVD) drops down to affordable prices.

There's even more detail than when I watch them on my computer's LCD with nVidia's Purevideo and hardware enabled decoding using PowerDVD.

I'll be able to hook this screen up to my HTPC and do some gaming and surf the internet sitting in my recliner LOL.

Last edited:
Yah, the Costco warranty is great . I just went There today to see if they had the 42"Phillips unfortunately, that was the only LCD that was displayed yet out of stock.

I guess I'm sticking with Neweggs westinghouse. They also gave me a extra $25 off the price just because.I think I may use that toward the extended warranty they offer if it's not to late.

BTW, I was looking at the 47"Phillips and I almost grabbed one.. But I would have been stretching past that $1300 budget that I don't really have to begin with. But Very nice picture!

Last edited:
It still hadn't gone through ..Just canceled my order .. Ive been trying to decide all day!..I'm hearing horror story's about havening to deal with repairs through westy.. ..

I'm not sure I like the Sceptre. From what I saw at Costco I don't think the PQ was that great. Though it's so hard to tell if it's a bad signal or the settings are just off.

I really don't know what to get now. I will be using this for a HTPC so I need it to be able to display 1080P as a monitor as well as through all inputs. I heard some LCD's have trouble with this and most do not have true 1080P through all inputs.

Does the phillips work well as a monitor? Does it receive true 1080P through all inputs??

Last edited:
rUfUnKy said:
Does the phillips work well as a monitor? Does it receive true 1080P through all inputs??
I'll let you know later this week as I'm ordering HDMI adapters for DVI and VEGA so my PC can use my Philips as a 1080p monitor also.

I'm sure it will work fine as long as the PC graphics card and LCD communicate.

Don't be in a huge hurry to pull the trigger on such an expensive purchase. Nothing worse than finding out later you made a big mistake.

At least with Costco you have 90 days to change your mind if things don't work out.

Thanks..Yah, I agree..The only reason I'm in such a hurry is I just sold my 55" TV to upgrade to a LCD and now I'm stuck watching TV on a 19" CRT.

I think I'm going to take the $200 I would have had to pay for the 3 year warranty + the $99 shipping through Newegg and possibly use that toward a better TV at Costco. No need to by a extended warranty at Costco. I believe they add two years ON TOP of the 1 year manufacturer warranty correct?

Oh yah, do you hear that whining noise (possibly the power supply) people are talking about?

No buzzing or whining on my Philips. Dead silent except for a relay click when I turn it on and off.

Ok, so I couldn't wait ..I picked up the 47" Phillips.. The thing hardly fits above my fireplace.. I think I'm going to wait a week till they have the 42" back in stock and return this one. I'm useing s-video out from my PC now so I cant comment much on the PQ. S-video max res is 1024 x 768 so I'm now running a res of 800 X 600 for a better fit :S

S-Video is like watching a VCR in comparison to Upscaling a DVD to 1080p through an HMDI connector.

Careful, you may end up falling in love with that larger screen and keeping it LOL.

Lucky for my wife, that thing is too big to sleep with :p

Back