• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Latest and Greatest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overclocking the RAM is no problem, but overvolting is the killer. That said, most RAM can handle 2.4v for relatively short periods of time (assuming you have active ventilation around the RAM modules).

HBB, you'll love the E6850. That's what I was gonna get before my low ball offer on this X6800 was accepted. Yeah, I have a good job, no kids, a low maintenance wife, and the house is paid off, so I can afford nice playtoys.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
Nice Rain. :)

There is nothing left in my e6300's tank to combat this with. I will just have to go buy a x6800 from the classies now to squash you. brb.

(I still don't think you can beat my SuperPi 1m ;))

*cough* *cough* :)

superpi376.jpg

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Good job Batboy :). Nice clocks rainless. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks. I really appreciate that. :beer:

batboy said:
Overclocking the RAM is no problem, but overvolting is the killer. That said, most RAM can handle 2.4v for relatively short periods of time (assuming you have active ventilation around the RAM modules).

If an air conditioner counts as active ventilation... then I've got it. ;)

default for my ram is 1.8v. I usually up it to 2.0 (I hit 3.76 with that and ran everything but 3D03 and 3D05). I might try doing +.3 again... but it really kind of flakes out there...

I ran my old Mushkin at 2.2v daily for at least 8 months. Any decent RAM can easily handle 2.1v to 2.2v safely, no problem.

rainless said:
*cough* *cough* :)
Keep it up...you may cough up something a bit faster. ;)

374648184_9f58e93ddb_o.jpg

*edit* Same clocks on cpu and ram, 32m for reference: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/374648217_5277e62138_o.jpg

My mobo craps out right there. So I cannot go any higher, but I can bench all day like that. You should be able to do better, I would work on the ram timings a bit.

Last edited:
Nice! You took DDR2-667 3-3-3-8, cranked it up to DDR2-1050, and barely had to mess w/ your timings. It makes you wonder about people looking into 1066 (or higher) 5-5-5-15 RAM when 667 can be this good.

Is that stuff still available anywhere, and is it normally that good? Do you just have a phenomenal set? It's D9 based, correct?

Sorry for high-jacking!

jason4207 said:
Nice! You took DDR2-667 3-3-3-8, cranked it up to DDR2-1050, and barely had to mess w/ your timings. It makes you wonder about people looking into 1066 (or higher) 5-5-5-15 RAM when 667 can be this good.

Is that stuff still available anywhere, and is it normally that good? Do you just have a phenomenal set? It's D9 based, correct?

Sorry for high-jacking!

Tigerdirect, Tankguys. Those are the only 2 listed as american based which sells them.

That is water cooled correct? What is your complete system specs?
(P.S) I have the same chip, same stepping so I see potential :)

/\ directed to humanbeatbox

jstutman said:
Tigerdirect, Tankguys. Those are the only 2 listed as american based which sells them.

Aircooled w/scythe ninja, p5b-dlx, e6300, ddr2-667, x800pro, zippy 500w.

It air, but -40c air via a duct to my window (it gets friggen cold here during the winter). Mind you, I don't need that kind of temp to get that far, I was trying my hardest to get past 525fsb (got to 527, but can't bench). I've done these speeds with 15c ambients as well.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
Aircooled w/scythe ninja, p5b-dlx, e6300, ddr2-667, x800pro, zippy 500w.

It air, but -40c air via a duct to my window (it gets friggen cold here during the winter). Mind you, I don't need that kind of temp to get that far, I was trying my hardest to get past 525fsb (got to 527, but can't bench). I've done these speeds with 15c ambients as well.

I got the same CPU and HS but mind you its running on a stock cooler cause somehow I have become retarded cause I cant get the ninja installed on my DS3
so stock clocks until I figure this out :p Im excited to see the potential once I overcome this minor problem.

jstutman said:

Nah. HBB (not to be confused with HBK) doesn't use water. He's got some weird air conditioner/card board box setup :)

This current bios sucks in terms of its memory usage. As HBB previously mentioned I was running 520-525 FSB effortlessly almost a year ago under F6. Now I can't even hit 500 FSB to save my life. I'll have to go over to Xtremesystems to find out what the best current bios is.

In the meantime I'm running Orthos to see what my best stable 4-4-4-12 OC is. I started with 400FSB and I'll go from there. Best UNSTABLE 4-4-4-12 has been 430FSB.

Anyways, I think we've solved the mystery of HBB's (and your) strange victory: You each have 2GB of RAM. I only have 1 and I think a lot of my memory power was being eaten up in system resources.

All things equal I should've annihilated both of you. :) Incidentally I actually had the opportunity to get faster RAM, but opted to get a car instead.

No regrets there. :beer:

rainless said:
Anyways, I think we've solved the mystery of HBB's (and your) strange victory: You each have 2GB of RAM. I only have 1 and I think a lot of my memory power was being eaten up in system resources.
Actually, I think that the size of the memory is not very relevant. From what I've seen, timings and speed make all the difference.

But Evil has shown that he can get VERY close to me with lower cpu clocks, lower memory clocks and looser timings. He should be able to wipe us both out. That is a real nice time for his clocks right there. I'd like to know the secret. :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
Actually, I think that the size of the memory is not very relevant. From what I've seen, timings and speed make all the difference.

But Evil has shown that he can get VERY close to me with lower cpu clocks, lower memory clocks and looser timings. He should be able to wipe us both out. That is a real nice time for his clocks right there. I'd like to know the secret. :)

He's gotta be using a lot of tweaks. I know a few because of Forum Wars, but I didn't pick up on ALL of them. Incidentally this will be the first time I've ever run eight hours of Orthos (there's just something so... "Rick Moranis" about Orthos to me...) Not like I'll always have my computer hooked-up to the AC... but at least I know what things will be like once I get better cooling.

hUMANbEATbOX said:

might want to double check that HBB my mem clocks are alot higher then yours :) . Got to love Gskill pc2-6400-HZ's that was only with 2.3v :drool:

well im on air using the first rev ninja and i think i only used about 1.4-1.475volts sorry i dont recall. P35 i think might be the differece cause that run i did right there was on a messed up install of windows xp from when i was running the NV680I mobo.

the only "tweak" if you want to call that is i run every instance below 1m in superpi then run 1m. I dont run with the ac hooked up to my pc, if i did i might see 3.8-4ghz.

Back