• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 cooling, (280? Watt monster)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
So I went out looking to buy a 8800 GTS 320MB and came home with a 8800 GTX 768, whoops!
Honest mistake that we all do it from time to time...

Anyhow this thing is hot and am wondering if anyone knows of any 3rd party heatsink other than the HR-03 Plus?
The HR-03 Plus wont fit in my system with option 1 with my DFI LP SLI-DR as the CPU is almost in the middle of the board and option 2 takes away my PCI slots.

Just playing around with it mostly now with ATI tools (i should get rivatunner) trying to cook the card and at 630 core 1100 mem, i am hitting 82C.
Idle I am at 65C.

Any other coolers on the market you have heard of?
Or any new ones soon to come?

Only other thing i have seen is on the Sparkle Calibre 8800 GTX,
However it uses a TEC and i don't want to deal with the extra power (only have a 620watt PSU) for a TEC or the chance of a TEC failure.

Any help, ideas or comments are great, thanks

Water cooling eh?
yeah i know, been their done that twice already....
However i would prefer to stick with air for now as i am not currently in the best environment to be dealing with that right now sadly.

Just hope i am not SOL as i can't afford to lose 4 card slots in my case to cool this puppy

Do you have any parts left? You could always just do a graphics card only loop. Because of the space available the loop would be smaller and easier to maintain and allow you to easily change around CPU stuff still (I assume that was mostly your issue?).

There are some others that are supposed to be released this month. The zalman vf1000 and the accelero extreme. Until then if you can't use the hr-03 then I would suggest changing the tim on the gpu with arctic silver or ceramique and using riva or atitool to increase the fan to 100%.

Watercooling would be the best bet if your main concern is its temps. At my current room temps, my gpu would easily be idling in the low 60's C, and gaming around 70C. Right now, its happily idling @ 43C, and gaming only raises it a few C.

use rivatuner to get the fan duty cycle up to 100%. That cut temps for me by over 10C.

There's also the Thermaltake TMG ND5, but it seems barely better than stock cooling, other than lower noise levels.

Indeed water is the best at cooling these cards. Air will only go so far with GPU's and using water while utilizing case space somewhere else in the case is more ideal then chewing up lots of slots to fit a good air cooling solution for the GPU.

Otherwise for air the Thermalright coolers are the best there is IMO. CPU and GPU I would stand by them 100% if I was using them still, actually wish I was using a CPU heatsink still since that cooled better than my water solution. At least my GPU idles around 40C and doesn't load much higher than 50C OCed and in warm temps.

For X1900/7900 and beyond, IMHO the only worthwhile cooling upgrade over stock is water. Aftermarket air solutions will only be a hair better than stock and often even worse.

I would suggest changing the tim on the gpu with arctic silver or ceramique and using riva or atitool to increase the fan to 100%.
What have been the reults of going to AS5 and does this mess up the ram coolers. I had changed out my stock 7800 coolerst for Artic Coolers because they get the air out of the case. Since the stock 8800 cooler does that I had not messed with it. And I didn't realize that you could change the fan setting with ATI Tool. I will have to check that out when I get home. I know my GTS does run hot but I just attributed it to being in a case that is not the greatest for air flow. Can't wait until I get my Stacker 830 to see what effect that has.

The card is made to take temps surpassing 100C, I don't think you should be too worried. The 8800 series is very good at handling heavy temps.

Should be obvious that the fan is still idling at 60% with "high" temps and barely ramps up to 70% when you hit 75C still.

Pntgrd said:
What have been the reults of going to AS5 and does this mess up the ram coolers. I had changed out my stock 7800 coolerst for Artic Coolers because they get the air out of the case. Since the stock 8800 cooler does that I had not messed with it. And I didn't realize that you could change the fan setting with ATI Tool. I will have to check that out when I get home. I know my GTS does run hot but I just attributed it to being in a case that is not the greatest for air flow. Can't wait until I get my Stacker 830 to see what effect that has.

AS5 is always better than the stock TIM (unless the manufacturer happens to use AS5 or a similar compound at stock, a la BFG). You should get at least a 2° improvement, usually a little more after it goes through its burn in period. You can use Arctic Silver Ceramique for the memory if you're worried about getting any on the pins of the memory but being that they're BGA chips, you should have no problems if you're not messy about it.

Moto7451 said:
Do you have any parts left? You could always just do a graphics card only loop. Because of the space available the loop would be smaller and easier to maintain and allow you to easily change around CPU stuff still (I assume that was mostly your issue?).

All water cooling parts are in Vancouver.
Currently in Edmonton waiting to go to Afghanistan, so sharing a small room with 3 others i dont have much room for all the extra goodies.

So thanks for water ideas, but sadly i can't do it right now.

||Console|| said:
You can try what I did , Take the front shorud off the HSF and slap a 92mm fan on it .

Any pics? I would really like to see what you have done.

Gautam said:
For X1900/7900 and beyond, IMHO the only worthwhile cooling upgrade over stock is water. Aftermarket air solutions will only be a hair better than stock and often even worse.

The worse part is what worries me.
My old X850 XT only got marginally better

Maverick0984 said:
The card is made to take temps surpassing 100C, I don't think you should be too worried. The 8800 series is very good at handling heavy temps.

Should be obvious that the fan is still idling at 60% with "high" temps and barely ramps up to 70% when you hit 75C still.

Call me old school but 45 is getting hot. And still live by that rule for CPU's.
What i want is 100% fan at much lower temp. I am supprised that is not ore tunable. Might have to look again.

tommcd64 said:
There are some others that are supposed to be released this month. The zalman vf1000 and the accelero extreme. Until then if you can't use the hr-03 then I would suggest changing the tim on the gpu with arctic silver or ceramique and using riva or atitool to increase the fan to 100%.

Great stuff this is what i was looking for... now just need to see what the products do.

I wish they made a version of the HR-03 Plus at a 90 degree angle.
Problem solved :rolleyes:

Does the blower still have any effect or use?
Looks very interesting. and may be worth a try.

Oh and i love the book off matches next to that heat machine nice :D

console, wouldn't you get a deadspot in airflow by strapping your fan that close against the heatsink? I thought it's usually best to space out a 38mm thick fan and a heatsink a bit so there will be some airflow in the center?

Back