• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What File System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I just bought a new (500 GB) HD to use as an external, mainly with my Macbook. However, I'd like to still use it with my Windows system on an occasional basis. It appears I have to first partition the drive before I use it -- how should I be doing it?

Depends...are you willing to spend anything in order to use it as a single drive? If so, format it HFS+ and get MacDisk for Windows, unless there is a better solution on the Mac side for reading NTFS.

There may be free utilities that allow read/write from one to the other but I'm Mac ignorant. Otherwise, make a 32GB shared FAT32 partition then format the rest in either NTFS or HFS+ (depending on your primary use, I guess), and go from there.

There are various tools out there that let PCs run HFS+ formatted drives, but you might want to consider if you'd ever be likely use it on a PC other than your own, because if you went that way then any PC you wanted to use it with would have to have that software on.

I use MacDrive with one of my externals because I use it with my Xbox 360, which doesn't support NTFS and FAT32 has the file size limit. No idea why it supports a Mac file system... Anyway, there's probably a free alternative out there.

Back