• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! -- Need suggestions on data recovery programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

I'm going through a data recovery nightmare right now. . . . Basically I have a bunch of important data (financial records, photos, etc.) on an ATA hard drive but I can't access any of it. I've been working on this for two days with no progress. Here's what I've attempted. . . .

1. I tried Reinstalling Windows on it without reformating. But Windows says that the partition is not readable and must be formated first. :confused:

2. I tried fixing the MBR (master boot record) in the Windows Setup Repair utility. Didn't help. :bang head

3. I tried running Windows from another disk and making the disk I am trying to read a dynamic disk. That worked but Windows says it needs to format the drive first to read it. :mad:

4. I tried a data recovery program called ZAR which managed to read a lot of the data, but it wasn't the data I need. (It read Windows files and Program Files but I need My Documents files.) When I used ZAR to read the sectors with My Documents files, the computer crashes to a blue screen. . . .

I don't know what to do. . . . I guess I need a program that will let me see an overview of the entire disk and allow me to retrieve the specific data I want (if it's not corrupted). . . . Does anyone know of a good data-recovery program that can do that? . . . I'm definitely willing to pay for it.

Thanks! :)

Well, I use r-studio for my data recovery... it's one of the better ones out there and very simple to use. But there's only so much you (and the program) can do. If it works, great, but if there's missing parts, well, tough luck. I'm not sure how expenive R-Studio is, but if you shoot me a email I can definitly help you out... systemhost at gmail.com

Ontrak makes a suite called DataRecovery Professional, not sure about the cost though. There are companies that specialize in data recovery if you're really serious about getting your stuff back. It's not cheap, but they're usually pretty successful.

Back