• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

networking with roadrunner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok seems my dad has a small issue. For the past few years he has tried to get his two computers on the same network. He has tried a Dlink router and as of today a network hub. Seems neither will allow him to get both rigs on the net at the same time. How can we go about getting moth computers internet access and networking?

The hub definately isn't going to work unless ICS is setup on one of them or the ISP hands IP addresses for each box. The router should be doing it as there will be an embedded DHCP server, which must be enabled unless you're using static addressing on each system.

The router should be addressed something similar to 192.168.0.1/subenet 255.255.255.0 and receive its WAN addressing from the cable/DSL modem. System1 should be addressed 192.168.0.2/subnet 255.255.255.0/gateway 192.168.0.1/DNS 192.168.0.1 and System2 should be 192.168.0.3/subnet 255.255.255.0/gateway 192.168.0.1/DNS 192.168.0.1. This addressing scheme will hold true under static or DHCP addressing.

Should go Modem > Router > Comp 1 & Comp 2. There's no reason the router should not pickup an IP from the modem. I'm not sure if RR allocates you 1 or more IPs, so a Hub may not work.

If he knows how to setup a router, it shouldn't be a problem, but obviously he doesn't. You might try helping him with that and giving a more specific question for us like...

Can the router receive an IP from the modem?
Are both computers able to connect to a router via 192.168.x.x address?
Does each computer work independently if hooked Modem > Router ?

Before he blew up his router this morning. He was able to get one rig on the internet but only one. He went modem > router > rig 1 > rig 2.

Did he clone the mac address of the working PC to the router? That's what normally needs to be done so that the ISP's computers think only 1 pc is connected.

Meh, I have 7 computers running off my rr connection. Just modem -> router -> computers! Dunno, for me, the modem is dhcp, so nothing I need to config, just plug and play. Just try to get one computer working right, once you have that, just plug the other one into the router...

CreePinG_DeatH said:
Did he clone the mac address of the working PC to the router? That's what normally needs to be done so that the ISP's computers think only 1 pc is connected.

only if your ISP is doing mac address filtering which is so 1980's

he should have it as

modem ----> router (DHCP)
--------> computer 1
--------> computer 2

both computers plug into the LAN ports on the router (usually 4 of them)

Mr.Guvernment said:

he should have it as

--------> computer 1
--------> computer 2

That's what Comcast in the Chicago area does I guess. Comcast will only hook up 1 computer and register it to the modem unless you pay them $200 to hook up a router and clone the MAC.

I didn't think ISPs could technically filter macs behind the modem. As far as the isp is concerned, they register the mac of your modem and the modem doesn't do dhcp, so it will only serve one device, a pc or router. On their network this enables your WAN access. Anything behind the routers (computers) are invisible as far as your isp is concerned because your router is doing NAT. I've never had this stated problem and I do a lot of in home support nationwide. I could be wrong, I would have just thought itd be something I've encountered in the past 3 years. If your dad has PPPoE internet service, skip to the end of this post.

If I were trying to fix this problem, I would start by powercycling the modem and pressing the reset button and holding it per the manufacturer instructions to set it back to factory defaults. I would then let it finish booting, waiting for the status lights to stabilize. On the computers, I would ensure both are set to obtain ip and dns automatically, then I would connect them to the router. Once they have received an ip address and show as connected, I would test internet access by pinging google.com... If I did not get a response, I would try to ping google via ip address to see if dns resolution was at fault. If ping by ip failed then I would be sure that there was a networking issue still, and at that point I would contact the isp to find out if restrictions on their network were causing my issue.

That said, all of this would be a waste of time if the ISP was providing PPPoE internet. You know if you have PPPoE internet when your isp gives you a username and password. If that is the case, you must have a router which supports PPPoE (wrt54g does), or you will have issues like that which you are seeing.

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:

he should have it as

--------> computer 1
--------> computer 2

Thats exactly how cable registers their modems I thought. You arent activated "by address" you are activated by MAC address. I used my modem at sopmeone elses house before that didnot have a filter on their line and it worked fine.

As for road runner, connect everything power everything off... Turn on modem, wait till 2 lights are on turn on router... then turn on PCS...

Lastly.. .dump Dlink its junk

they usually use the mac address on the modem to control you at the gateway for speeds and such, after that they dont note what comes after the modem, but this is also why router maker hve the option to input or clone a mac address just incase the ISP is still living in the stone age and locks IP's to MAC addys like they still do in costa rica.

Back