Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Top 5 Albums That Changed The Way You Hear Music

Well I'll start it off. Pretty self-explanitory... Your top 5 bands and a brief description of why, would be ideal. This thread should help spread some musical love

1. Tool - Lateralus
    While listening to this album is the first time I ever got eargasms. Right in the middle of track 9, Lateralus, the music just flowing through me. Some of the deepest, most meaningful, out-of-this-world lyrics I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. One of the first times I had ever heard real music.

2. Dredg - El Cielo
    One of the most beatiful sounding albums, ever. The vocals and tone of the music seem to fit together perfectly to deliver deep, calm sounds that relax me like no other.

3. Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Obviously.

4. The Mars Volta - Tremulant [EP]
    I absolutely love the atmosphere of these three tracks, so raw yet cooked perfectly. I'm kind of torn between Tremulant and A Missing Chromosome, just because it has the Frances the Mute single on it.

5. Minus The Bear - Menos El Oso
    I chose this as my 5th just because its so fun and upbeat, it always puts me in a great mood, and I can even sense a hint of Dredg in some of their music. They are great live, as well.

I know my reviews suck, but hey I don't work for the Times!

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

2. Radiohead - Kid A

3. Gorillaz - Gorillaz

4. Green Day - Dookie

5. Fatboy Slim - Live on Brighton Beach
    CPU: i7 860 @3.37GHz
    GFX: EVGA 760GTX
    MOBO: Asus Sabertooth X58
    RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600
    PSU: Corsair 650W
    HSF: Thermalright Macho

It's hard to really write just 5 when the actual topic is an Album that changed the way you hear music. There is so many names that really just have to mentioned so Ill just pick 5 random ones from the list.

1. Beach Boys - Endless Summer (Amazing everything and many of the songs from 'Pet Sounds' insprired the creation of #2)

2. The Beatles - Sgt Peppers lonely hearts club band

3. Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin (The first 8 albums all really changed the way we hear music but this was the first)

4. Daft Punk - Discovery (Making techno mainstream)

5. Nirvanna - Nevermind (This was the driving force that put an end to glam rock and hair bands. )
    sig deleted by muddocktor-take it up with the Admins

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member benbaked's Avatar
    DSOTM for me, that album is still awesome.
    HEATWARE (22-0) | Folding/SETI/Rosetta (crunching BOINC as the ben.World.order)

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | i7-4770K | EVGA 680GTX FTW | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
    ASUS Maximus Formula SE | QX6700 | Gigabyte 4350 | OCZ Gold 2x4GB DDR2 | Intel X25-M 80GB
    PS4 | Wii U | Xbox 360 (Zephyr) w/ WD3200BEVT 320GB | PS3 CECHG01 w/ WD1600BEVT 160GB

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout

(Lat 47° 8' 22.1316")(Long -122° 29' 52.9152") (Lakewood Wa)
    No real order for me..

Nirvan - Nevermind

Gorillaz - Gorillaz

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Metallica - Black Album

and really a tie for the other last one

Rob Zombie - AC/DC - Bon Jovi and Dragon Force
    [Game Rig] AMD FX6300 – Asrock 970 Extreme4 – 16GB Ripjaw PC314900 – HD7850 – Seasonic 850w – Windows 8.1
    [Dads] Intel Celeron 530 - Biostar H61MGC - 4GB TeamWin DDR3 - PowerColor R7 260X - 160GB - FSP Bluestorm 500w - Win 8.1
    [Unused System] Intel 6500 - Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L - 4GB DDR2 – 3x3TB, 6x1TB , 1x2TB - Antec Earthwatt 650w - W7+FlexRaid
    (HEATWARE)

No order whatso ever

Slipknot- Vol3 The Subliminal Verses
    Metallica- ...And justice for all
    Marilyn Manson- The last tour on earth(I think thats it i'll have to look it up cause i havnt seen it in a long time)
    Tool- Lateralus
    DAATH- The Hinderers
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Asus P5Q-PRO E8400 4050mhz
    Tuniq Tower 120 Crossfire Diamond HD4850's 512mb a piece
    2x2 GB OCZ DDR2 1066 Platinum OCZ GameXStream 600W

SPC in the US ARMY working on AH-64D Appache Longbow Attack Helicopters
    Yes I work on a $47,000,000 computer that has two jet engines attached to it A LOT of spinning parts and of course... Rockets, GUNS, and Missiles

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A and Hail to the Thief (Tie)

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith

Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind
    Main - Core 2 Duo e6300 - Asus P5K-E - eVGA 8800GTS 320mb - 2gb G.Skill DDR2-800 - Antec NeoHE 500w - WD 500gb SATA - Lite-on DVD±RW SATA - Heatware

Train of Thought by Dream Theater

not so much that albumn, but it made me listen to all their work
    Sugo SFF cube case
    4850 45W
    4 gigs ddr2 800
    7200.11 500gig

I cant think of 5, but there is only one that has so far changed the way I hear music

DJ Khaled - We the best

Disabled
    Yah, I have to agree with those who already said this much, an order is not going to work. I will even go farther and say that specific albums are a bit off from what really matters, which is what bands have changed music for the better. Even then, I do not know if it is reasonable to stick to only 5 of them. With that much said, in the sort of alphabetical order that you might find in a decent record store:

The Band
    The Doors
    Bob Dylan
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    Metallica
    Government Mule
    Pink Floyd
    Primus
    Queensryche
    Rush
    Black Sabbath
    The Rolling Stones
    Dream Theater
    Jethro Tull
    The Who
    Yes
    Led Zepplin

And even that list is of necessity incomplete but those are some of the big ones. Each of them has had a number of specific musicians who changed music in their own right, however, they are also bands who have changed music in ways that they could only do as a band. With that much said, I must include the following bands as a special division:

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers
    Cream
    Delaney & Bonnie and Friends
    Derek and the Dominos
    Blind Faith
    The Yardbirds

While each of them belongs on my above list in their own right and most of them have certain musicians who have done much for music as we know it (Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Dave Mason, Duane Allman...), they all have one man in common:

Eric Clapton

As a semi-professional musician, I tip my hat to Clapton. He has done one thing for music that no other musician has done in over two centuries. We have several ways of writing on paper what we do and the most detailed way is called standard notation (basically what you might think of as sheet music). What Clapton does with his fingers goes beyond what can be written in standard notation and new symbols have had to be introduced to communicate what he does.

West side connection - bow down
    Doc Dre - Cronic 2001
    Emenim - for the last 3
    Asus z87-Plus
    4670k @ 4.7 ghz 1.35v 75deg C (water 120.3)
    Gskill Ripjaws (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL) PC-2133 1.6v 11-11-11-30-1T
    Kingston 3x 120Gig SSD
    Evga 670gtx Sc 4gb
    Corsair Tx750 V2

" If that Bong is filled with the right stuff you wouldn't give a damn how much noise the cooling system made lol" ViperJohn

Amorphis - Elegy
    Death - Individual Thought Patterns
    Fields of the Nephilim - Revelations
    Old Man's Child - The Pagan Prosperity
    Mithoyn - King of the Distant Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Malpine Walis
    While each of them belongs on my above list in their own right and most of them have certain musicians who have done much for music as we know it (Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Dave Mason, Duane Allman...), they all have one man in common:

Eric Clapton

As a semi-professional musician, I tip my hat to Clapton. He has done one thing for music that no other musician has done in over two centuries. We have several ways of writing on paper what we do and the most detailed way is called standard notation (basically what you might think of as sheet music). What Clapton does with his fingers goes beyond what can be written in standard notation and new symbols have had to be introduced to communicate what he does.
    You could add Jimi Hendrix to the list of musicians above, it was Clapton and Chas Chandler that launched Hendrix's career.

The best list I can muster is:

The Beatles - Abbey Road (This just does it for me, it was the first album that made me realise I lost something if I just skipped to my favourite track. Also I happen to think it is the finest rock music ever recorded.)

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Prodigy - Experience

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

Sky - Sky 2

The problem is I missed out funk, and blues, and folk and country and, and, and...
    Last edited by >HyperlogiK<; 08-19-07 at 01:19 AM.
    The Last Gonzo of Scotland.
    Core i7 950 @ 4Ghz, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 6870 CF, Xonar D2X, 12GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Bigfoot 2100, Agility 3 120GB, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Corsair HX1000w, Cambridge Audio A500 and Acoustic Research speakers (Main PC)
    Alienware M11x, C2D SU 7300, Geforce 335M, Corsair Force 40GB (Laptop)
    Opteron 175, DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D, Radeon x850 XT PE, 4GB BH-5, OCZ Petrol 64GB, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 2x TerraTec PHASE 22, Enermax Liberty ELT500, Yamaha A-S300 and Mordaunt Short Aviano speakers (Music PC)
    Pentium D 920, Gigabyte 965P-S3, Geforce 210, 2GB Elpida DDR2, TerraTec PHASE 22, ASUS DVB-T (HTPC)
    Dual P3 866Mhz, Intel 440LX Board, 1.8GB PC133Mhz, 2x Voodoo 2 12MB, Turtle Beach FIJI (Retro Gaming Machine)

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper
    The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

My dad has that album and he's an elvis fan too

I'm not much of an album person.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Nirvana - Nevermind
    Gorillaz - Gorillaz
    The Prodigy - Experience

to many others to name, but those are a few.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Sole For Rock 'N Roll
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Blink 182 - Enema of the State
    Modest Mouse - Building Nothing Out of Something

The Black Sabbath one is more of like a greatest hits with Ozzy, but that's the only Sabbath album my parents had and I listened to it a whole lot, haha. And although Blink 182 isn't the greatest band in the world, they kind of opened the door to a lot of the punk and ska music that I listen to today so they were very influential to me.
    Main: Q6600@3.0=334x9 1.300v, TRUE120, Abit IP35-Pro, 2x2gb G.Skill Pi DDR2 800, EVGA 8800gt 700/1010, PCP&C Silencer 610w, 3.15TB, 2x22" Acer AL2223W, Ubuntu 7.10 & XP Pro SP3
    ASUS EEE PC: Celeron-M@900, 1gb DDR2, GMA900, 4GB SSD, 8GB SDHC, 7", Windows XP SP3

[Heatware]

1- Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory
    2- Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    3- Tool - Lateralus
    4- Opeth - Damnation
    5- Ayreon - The Human Equation

Quote Originally Posted by Blankfile
    1- Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory
    2- Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    3- Tool - Lateralus
    4- Opeth - Damnation
    5- Ayreon - The Human Equation
    this!
    Sugo SFF cube case
    4850 45W
    4 gigs ddr2 800
    7200.11 500gig

How on earth has no one mentioned the biggest influence in my life in music:

PEARL JAM - Ten

As TommyHolly put in hist post about Nirvana "This was the end of big hair bands", which I hated. Ten is the album that drove me into a passion of music and is easily the most timeless CD I own. I have listened to this album hundreds if not thousands of times and its just as good as the day I bought it.

This is by far and above other albums that I have really "felt".

Between Ten and their follow up album Vs, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots - Core, and Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams... that was an incredible period of music. If you consider the crappy hair bands that preceded them, it was a breath of fresh air for this new "alternative rock".
    Corsair 600T
    ASUS Z77 V-Pro
    Intel 3770K 4.5GHz - 1.20vCore
    16GB G.Skill @ 2400MHz
    Two EVGA 670 in SLI
    - P14.6k 3DM'11 -
    180GB Intel 520 SSD
    Corsair AX850 Power Supply
    5x2TB RAID5 Storage - Synology DS1010+ NAS

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced. My first album. (I still have my 600+ 45 collection)
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run. Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!
    Eric Clapton - Slowhand. Peaches & Diesel - nuf said.
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. Headphones MAXED.
    B52's - B52's. Walkie-talkie is listed as an instrument. You gotta love that. lol
    REM - Fables of the Reconstruction. You can't there from here.

Those are six of many which have had an influence on my listening tastes.
    Q9650, Rampage Formula X48, 4x1GB G.Skill PC2-6400 (D9GMH), HD 6950 2GB, 2x 64GB SandForce 1222 SSD RAID 0, BFG LS1000, Gamer
    4670K, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4, 2x8GB Crucial PC3-1600, GTX 650, 240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1TB WD Black, Seasonic S12-650W, Lightroom4
    E6600, nvidia e-7150 i630, 2x2GB Mushkin PC2-8500, HD 4650, 500GB WD Blue, Antec 380W, HTPC
    What computer do you have? And please don't say a white one. - Sheldon Cooper
    cpu on water, cards air, me whiskey! - icebob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast