• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what temperature am i supposed to read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im using a cooler master hyper tx and the voltage is 1.325V

also just out of curiosity i tried going back to the stock clock speed and my temps still all read the same (in the bios, everest, and TAT) so i think there is something wrong with the temp sensor for my processor

Wow cut down on the voltage there! Most C2Ds can run under the rated voltage when mildly overclocked (my e6300 can run on 1.184v at 3Ghz). Put the voltage down to 1.25v (the default). I take it you're reading the voltage from the BIOs right? That should help ease the temps a bit.

Use Intel TAT (google it) and tell us what your core temps are on that.

Your temperatures could be high due to the thermal paste application and/or the contact the heatsink has with the CPU.

Last edited:
Wow cut down on the voltage there! Most C2Ds can run under the rated voltage when mildly overclocked (my e6300 can run on 1.184v at 3Ghz). Put the voltage down to 1.25v (the default). I take it you're reading the voltage from the BIOs right? That should help ease the temps a bit.

Use Intel TAT (google it) and tell us what your core temps are on that.

Your temperatures could be high due to the thermal paste application and/or the contact the heatsink has with the CPU.

After i cut down the voltage im still getting the exact same readings (TAT= core0 44, core1 42) but on core temp it says i have 40C till Tjunction remaining

After i cut down the voltage im still getting the exact same readings (TAT= core0 44, core1 42) but on core temp it says i have 40C till Tjunction remaining

Is that temperature under load or idle? Those TAT readings are fine, you can overclock your CPU more, just do it about 200-300Mhz at a time.

idle under load they are 57-54

That's really high for such a mild overclock. We need more details such as: the case you have, how many fans, what thermal paste you used, whether you're using a fan on the CPU heatsink, and what other components in your setup. What are your ambient temps? Is it hot weather everyday where you are?

System Details:

Case: cheapest thing on newegg i could find (i keep the side panel removed)
CPU: intel core 2 duo e6300
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper TX with artic silver 5 thermal paste
Graphic Card: Geforce 7600 GS
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

My cpu ambient temp is around 30C in the bios at startup

and i live in Houston, Texas so it does get hot but my a/c is set at 79C

Interesting, how was the thermal paste application? Did you check to see that it was evenly spread (I find spreading on a thin even layer on the cpu with a thin blade is best...)?

The case can hurt your temps, I would leave the side of the case on (can affect air pressure in the case, leading to worse results apparently) and perhaps invest in some new fans.

Interesting, how was the thermal paste application? Did you check to see that it was evenly spread (I find spreading on a thin even layer on the cpu with a thin blade is best...)?

The case can hurt your temps, I would leave the side of the case on (can affect air pressure in the case, leading to worse results apparently) and perhaps invest in some new fans.

Im pretty confident in the amount of thermal paste i applied but if nothing else works ill try reapplying it, and i find with the side panel off i am getting better temps than with it on but i took it out because i took the fan from the side of it and kind of Frankensteined it to the bottom of hdd to keep it cooler (which worked surprisingly) but once again ill try putting it back on if i cant fix this any other way.

Also are you sure my temp sensor isnt just messed up? Because i get the same temps if i go back to the stock clock speed and even when i increase or decrease the voltage.

Back