• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get AC3 output from a .mkv file using Dolby Digital Live?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hey all.
I have several 720p movies that I have ripped myself and are encoded with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, but I can't for the life of me get them to play back in 5.1 with my HDA X-Mystique Dolby Digital Live card and my external decoder & speakers.

The only output I get is effectively stereo when DDL is enabled, which the card upmixes to 5.1 and outputs through all the speakers. It sounds pretty good, but its not proper DD 5.1, theres no seperation between channels, dialogue, music and effects come from all speakers at the same time, it is just stereo.

I have disabled DDL, only to get no sound (as i'm using an optical cable to connect my amp so I have no analogue connections), and the only other option is 2 channel PCM audio over the digital link which obviously only gives me stereo.

Do I need some kind of software filter to get the DD bitstream?
Any help appreciated, thanks. :)

the app u use to play said movies also need to support DD
like media center or powerdvd

I'm using the very latest version of PowerDVD v7.3 and the latest Media Player on Vista Ultimate. PowerDVD doesn't seem to play .mkv files and as outlined above, Media Player only outputs stereo...

:confused:

I just let my Xmystique upmix mine... Only DTS passes straight through

I start a movie ... right click the FFDShow icon, select AC3 Sound
then my surround options. DDL usually results in a bunch of static.

When finished (I set mine to 3/2+SW 5.1) Close media player... then start the movie again (oh and I use optical so I check SPDIF box)

Since you're going to an external receiver over optical, use either FFDSHOW or grab and install AC3Filter and set AC3 for SPDIF passthrough.

Back