• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Live CD Distro, with Emulation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Not sure if this is possible and it will be a couple of weeks till I need the answer.

I am getting a Company Laptop, it WILL be running windows, and I WILL be forced to use Lotus notes, and Internet Explorer on it, as I am not permitted to install ANYTHING, already got in a semi spat with the IT manager over me using firefox on a Work Machine because it could save my staff 20-30 minutes a day. They are back to Using IE :(

anyway. I would like to Run a Live CD of what ever distro I can, that will allow me to Emulate/Virtualize Lotus Notes, and Possibly MS Office Applications in the event there is no way to run Open Office off of the Live Distro CD.

This way I am Not physically installing anything on the Machine, but am not stuck with Apps I can not stand and a sketchy work environment.

Thanks

Check knoppix, but if not, modify it yourself. Create an image of the disc, mount it via loopback, and modify the filesystem as needed until you get what you want, then burn it back to the disc.

Damn Small Linux also has a "frugal install" option once you've booted it up, it installs a 50MB compressed image onto the partition of your choice -- great for putting on a flash drive.

I know people who have shrunk their work partitions down and added a separate partition for linux or their os of choice on their work comp. That way, when the tech guys come by, they won't notice anything being weird.

Ack! you beat me to it, Misfit! :beer:

*edit* I used the Slax pendrive as a demo to introduce to my brother the concept that he does not have to be trapped in a Windows enviornment.

He had always been an "Apple guy" from the start of the industry, but in recent years can no longer afford teh pricey Macintosh products. He absolutely hates PC's with M$ windoze...I'm trying to lead him back to the light-side! ;)

Last edited:
Back