• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Psu??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lennytiger

My Macron Power CPU died today it came with my full tower case I have had the case 3months now, and that isn't an acceptable time for a PSU in use under normal conditions, don't get one there bad!!

well I moved from the uk to south africa so I don't think RMA is valid here anyway, it was a cheap thing that came with the case and i have a spare 300W any way!

Oh well thanx guys...

Are you positive its dead? Sometimes a minor problem will make them appear dead. Take a short piece of wire, and, holding the ATX plug facing you, you should see a green wire immediately to the left of the clip. Jumper this with any black wire, plug in the PSU, and if it starts up, you're OK. If not, at least you'll know for sure that its the PSU.

Have you tried to power it up since? Sometimes when they are pushed too hard they will overheat and shut down. Letting it cool will bring it back. I had this happen many times when I pushed the 5v rail up to 5.2v. Had to back it off to 5.1 and now it never goes dead on me.

what actually happens is I plug all the atx power cables in to my mobo and when i turn on everything fires up and then a few seconds later shuts down. it does this on all my boxes, my other psu (300Watt) is fine.

First I would see if I could get the psu replaced (rma). If that proves to be impossible for whatever reason, I would then and only then open up the power supply and turn the pot (there may be two) a hair to the left and see if a board will come up. If it comes up and holds then I would use mbm to adjust the 5 volt rail to close to 5v. Remember someone set this psu and then put a dab of glue on the pot. Now we all know that assembly lines are not always filled with real concientious employees. There are others here in the forum that can tell you how to adjust the voltage using a meter.

does the other PS work? It might be a minor problem but don't open it up unless you know what you are doing. PS problems can be shocking[\b]!

Back