• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC games are evolving.. so what's next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Remember the Stroggification scene in Quake 4? I want a game with more of that, like where enemies will perform 'fatality' moves on you in real time(not scripted sequences). Like you get shot and you look down and there's a gushing bullet wound, or you get sliced and you're trippin over your guts! This carries over to enemies, too, I'm sick of ragdoll physics, I want more Soldier of Fortune damage systems!

AI is another big problem in games, it seems that every once and awhile we will see one new addition to AI and then have to wait a few years for the next jump. First enemies would stand still, then they started dodging around a bit, some games had enemies hearing your gunshots/footsteps, then we got to the 'take cover' idea, recently 'flanking' has been added, Call of Duty had the 'throw your own grenade back at you' idea...I don't think we're going to get new games that dramatically alter the tried and tested formulas, it's going to be a slower evolution than other game features.

Physics and more Advanced AI...

Physics:
Are starting to come out now because ........

Advanced AI:
Probably one of the hardest things to ever make in a game .....

Enviroments:
Maybe not the top of the list but .....

I could not agree more with all of your points, I would say AI more than physics is needed at the moment. However, if a company itself works on its own engine it could in theory allow the AI to analyse what can be done with that particular object/structure as it will be able to access the objects physical properties via the engine... which is something I would love to see in an FPS.

I'm sick of ragdoll physics, I want more Soldier of Fortune damage systems!

You said it.
Was it SoF 1 or 2 when one of the opening scenes had a hostage on he knees and the baddie had a shogun to his face and yelled "stop screaming" just before he blew him away?

Also I dont care who you are but a 7.62 round will blow your arm off it it hits you in the shoulder. Not to mention give you a concussion if it skims your head. You dont actually need to hit someone with a round to kill them if its big enough.

I Would also like to see more realistic damage based on round size.
5.56x45 (NATO) doesn't do the same damge as 7.62x39 (Soviet)
As 7.62x39(Soviet) doesn't do the same damage as 7.62x51 (NATO)

Also the hit box. Sure it was a great idea but hasn't evolved much since the late 90's. They need to add organs and more vital areas.
You put a 9mm pistol round in a guys gut he will take a long time to bleed out.
You put that same round through his kidney, and he is done for.

Shadow wow that is way deeper than I was getting at. I was just talking in the next say 5 years what kinds of things the industry will try and take advantage of. Sounds like you are talking more distant future of tecnology and mankind. So ya I guess I misunderstood.

Gamming just need to redifine their standards, it could be nice if we as gammers don't play a game if it dosn't has this or this.

Maybe a bit radical, but, we a re the ones that pay for the game so ? we have the right to ask for what we want. Most of games could run better if they were optimized to new hardware. Multi-tasking is the future, maybe in a few years we gonna NEED a PPU in order to play games.

What if they purposefully do little to optimize games. After all, if everything ran great at max detail on yesterday's hardware....how would nvidia and ATI get their money from the latest and greatest?

kinda like that theory of "we have a cure for X disease, but wont release it due to the potential downfall of health insurance business"

^_^

I think the next step in gaming is to incorporate other senses... right now all we have is sight and sound. Tactile response would be the next logical step, but it seems like having a generic "touch" controller that could be easily programmed would be difficult to customize for individual games and people. :( it would be sweet, though.

Brain control. Period.

Honestly, then games would have an integrated intelligence quest, or basically how well you could focus. It'd be kind of cool to be totally immersed in a game too.

Brain control. Period.

Honestly, then games would have an integrated intelligence quest, or basically how well you could focus. It'd be kind of cool to be totally immersed in a game too.

at that point, the military would be monitoring our brain waves and sub consciously making us sign up.

New AI combined with voice recognition would be sweet. Imagine an RPG where you walk into a bar and strike up a conversation with just anyone and not be limited to the dialogue options preprogramed by the devs. Then we'd have a use for gaming headsets for something other than teamspeak or ventrillo.

New AI combined with voice recognition would be sweet. Imagine an RPG where you walk into a bar and strike up a conversation with just anyone and not be limited to the dialogue options preprogramed by the devs. Then we'd have a use for gaming headsets for something other than teamspeak or ventrillo.

Now THAT would be cool! Or what if when you talk in the headset in an FPS game, the enemies can hear you, so you have to whisper or whatever at certain times.

There was a tactical FPS that used commands via headset for the XBOX I think. FBI Hostage Rescue? I could be wrong on the title, but I know there was one.

You're already "made" to sign up when you turn 18. Enlistment is just quickening the process :beer:

Nah, I was able to hold out until I turned 19.

yeah incorporate voice command like in the SOCOM games on PS2... SOCOM2 is one of my all time favs simply because of this feature....

There was a tactical FPS that used commands via headset for the XBOX I think. FBI Hostage Rescue? I could be wrong on the title, but I know there was one.

The last Rainbow Six for X-box (3, I think it was) had some really good vioce recognition. As long as you spoke clearly, they would get it right about 95% of the time. That's more of a gimmick though than in innovation. It would pretty sweet if you could actually have a conversation with NPC's in a game. I'm not sure how practical it would be though outside of a game like Morrowind.

Back