• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe or Allendale

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danzio

I just ordered components for a new system build and based on many posts here decided on the E2140 from Newegg. The ones they are selling (at least today) are Allendale cores and I see most of the posts refer to Conroes. I also think (based on other posts) that the difference between the two is the Conroe has 2mb L2 cache, although 1mb is disabled, whereas the Allendale has only 1mb to begin with. Then it begs the question, if the Conroe's reduced to 1mb due to the disabling, what if any difference is there between the two CPU's,

and finally my real question, will the Allendale OC to the numbers I am seeing in many of the posts?

Thanks,

Conroes also have a 1066FSB whereas Allendale has 800FSB. The Allendales will OC well, I have a 2140 that will OC to 3.1GHz with a small increase in vcore.

Conroe > Allendale

Try to get a hold of a Conroe, that being said, you won't be disappointed with an Allendale either.

Allendale core based cpus need a tad more volts to oc vs the conroe base ones. I had a E4300 which is allendale based that did 3ghz on stock volts. It still the luck of the draw so you may not hit the numbers you are seeing, you might get close however.

The fsb is pretty much insignificant, just like the multi. The main, and important diff between the Allendales and the Conroes, is the cache. Conroe has 4mb native, but 2mb is disabled by Intel. Allendale has 2mb native. The e21x0's are Allendale, but the have 1mb of cache disabled. There have been no Conroe e21x0's.

e6300's and e6400's used to be Conroe, but were since converted over to Allendale. My e6300 is a Conroe, and it clocks significantly better than Allendale e6300's. But for a budget CPU like a e2140, being Allendale really doesn't matter. They still clock great for the money spent.

Conroe has an extra instruction set that Allendale lacks as well as more cache.

Still, allendales OC to buggery just like conroes.

Allendale lacks VT, that might be a consideration for some. For example, if you want to run a 64bit guest OS on a 32bit host OS you need Conroe, 64bit support alone is not enough in that case. Not a big problem but for software testing and development purposes its nice to have that option.

E2140 is great, the small cache isnt much of a problem from what i can see, perfect placeholder for Yorkfield.

Back