• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck reset button

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterTelia

so i just bought a old N64 just for the fun of it, but any ways the seller didnt tell me that the reset button was stuck, and i cant be bothered with sending it across the country for repairs at some dungeon somewhere.

So i wanted to know if any of you have any experience with N64 and stuck reset button. And some info on how to get it free would be nice.

Either order some gamebit tips to take it apart or melt the end of a BIC pen and let it cool while pressing it on the head of one of the gamebit screws (creating a makeshift gamebit screwdriver - I had to do this to fix my brother's N64).

Take it apart and "unstick" your reset button.

There is probobly not much to screw up inside there... I have taken apart a Nintendo, PS1 & 2 and there isn't much to it. Maybe you can do something cool on ther... if its an old n64 maybe you can mod in the 4 player tap

So he sold you a broken unit and passed it off as functional?

Sounds like a **** poor seller.

the unit is fully functional, the reset button is just stuck a quite known problem as far as i know.

ive never done any modding, i would like to but i havent, and i wont do it anything but repairing my N64s cuz i want to keep them as original as possible and withouth any scratches or anything so id i ever deceide to sell one again i will get as much money as possible.

the unit is fully functional, the reset button is just stuck a quite known problem as far as i know.

ive never done any modding, i would like to but i havent, and i wont do it anything but repairing my N64s cuz i want to keep them as original as possible and withouth any scratches or anything so id i ever deceide to sell one again i will get as much money as possible.

Fully functional would mean... well exactly as stated that everything is functioning as it should be and its not, but if you don't care then its not a big deal.

Fully functional would mean... well exactly as stated that everything is functioning as it should be and its not, but if you don't care then its not a big deal.

well, you know what i mean. but i mind so im probably gonna fix it myself with a pen or something like that, gonna contact him and see what he says.

I had a reset button get stuck on an N64 once. I just got something to pry it out if I remember correctly. I think I used a dentist tool or something. Dont really remember.

I had a reset button get stuck on an N64 once. I just got something to pry it out if I remember correctly. I think I used a dentist tool or something. Dont really remember.

then a scalpel maybe will work, i want to try to do it witout opening the N64 or making any scratches to it

Either order some gamebit tips to take it apart or melt the end of a BIC pen and let it cool while pressing it on the head of one of the gamebit screws (creating a makeshift gamebit screwdriver - I had to do this to fix my brother's N64).

Take it apart and "unstick" your reset button.

a link to the proper screwdriver would be nice

tried melting a pen, but the handle started melting before the metal tip, lol, so thats not a option unless i can steal a kniting thing one of those metal sticks from my mom.

also tried using a small scissor to get it unstuck without dismantling it, no luck there either

tried melting a pen, but the handle started melting before the metal tip, lol, so thats not a option unless i can steal a kniting thing one of those metal sticks from my mom.

also tried using a small scissor to get it unstuck without dismantling it, no luck there either

You need a BIC that is like this:

bic_cristal.jpg

Take the innards out, use a lighter on the end, and press it over the gamebit head until it hardens.

As far as finding a gamebit tip kit, you'll probably need to Google for one or check eBay. I only know they exist, but never used them...I used the pen method. I suppose it's possible that some very small needle nose pliers could get enough grip to break the thread. Worth a try.

I think Jon meant melting the plastic part into the head of the screws so it takes the form of the screws and you can unscrew the N64. It sounded like you're trying to melt the metal part of the pen? I'm not sure thats a good idea. I think if you got it hot enough to melt, you'd get ink everywhere.

I think Jon meant melting the plastic part into the head of the screws so it takes the form of the screws and you can unscrew the N64. It sounded like you're trying to melt the metal part of the pen? I'm not sure thats a good idea. I think if you got it hot enough to melt, you'd get ink everywhere.

thanx for the help on that one, studip me what was i thinking trying to melt the metal isntead of plastic thing

argh i got like half a pen stuck down in the hole cuz i melted it too much now i need to hack it out with a screwdriver, unless any got some advice on how to remove some plastic of other plastic

was a mistake the one where i need to hack the plastic i melted away to get to the srew just really annoying that i made that mistake but we all have to learn the hard way sometimes

i quickly scanned though the thread real quick....but..

Has anyone mentioned trying to use rubbing alcohol?

It could just have gotten pop, or something else sticky inside of it. it may not be a mechanical problem.

i mean hey...try the easy stuff first.

i quickly scanned though the thread real quick....but..

Has anyone mentioned trying to use rubbing alcohol?

It could just have gotten pop, or something else sticky inside of it. it may not be a mechanical problem.

i mean hey...try the easy stuff first.

I would hope no one spilled soda on his console before selling it to him :D It happens though. From reading that tutorial, it doesn't sound like you really need to melt the pen. It sounds like you're just getting it hot enough to make it soft and mold around the screw. You really shouldn't be heating it up enough to drip and end up in the cracks around the screws.

Back