• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a big cheap well made case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to order parts to build my next machine. I want a full tower case, preferably with BIG fans. I don't give a rat's *** what it looks like-it can be a plain beige box for all I care. I don't want to spend money on LED's and all sorts of dumb stuff, I just want it to keep my stuff cool and be reasonably well made.

Any recommendations? (especially from newegg)

*edit* I don't care what it's made of or how much it weighs, as it will be staying in one place. It needs to have plenty of space, as any full tower should. It will be getting 4 3.5" hard drives in raid 0 and possibly another drive or two for backups, so we're looking at possibly as many as 6 hard drives. One optical drive should do, two absolute max. A pc power and cooling 750 watt supply will be used, so it needs to fit that rather large psu without problems. That's about all the unusual requirements I can think of.

Any full tower will work if you buy a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter. . ( you can fit 3 hard drives in 2 optical bays... ) personaly I dont put my optical in the pc anymore.. all modern mobos can boot from usb.. so I put my DVDRW in a external case and run that.

for some reason it wont burn DVDs (havent looked into it yet though) but I just save it on the hdd and let another PC burn it on my home network :)

No specific budget per se for the case, but I can't see going above $100 or so. I'd like to keep it less-it's just a CASE, the power supply is already chosen.

$100 isn't exactly cheap case land, there =P
You should have plenty of choices (I'm not into the large cases, so no recommendation from me)

I ordered the chenming last night, along with the rest of the stuff. I went through a weird process at the last minute-see, I decided I needed to cut costs. I was at like $1600, and I felt that was just too much. So I eliminated two of the four perpendicular drives I had speced out, and I stepped down in motherboard somewhat. But then I decided to eat some of the savings back up with a super-duper videocard, so I put the cheapest 8800 ultra newegg has into the mix. I'm still a little more than $300 below the original figure, but it'll game a little better. I'll still have raid 0, just with 2 drives instead of 4.

Yep-and then I could have spent more trying, probably unsuccessfully, to cool it enough to get a gtx up to the speeds an ultra will overclock to. There's a reason the ultra is more expensive, and it isn't simply that they took any old gtx and sped it up. There's more to it than that-the higher-binned gpu and memory can just plain reach higher speeds.

you could have saved a hundred bucks by going with the GTX and overclocking it to the Ultra speeds.

Yea and he still wouldn't have an Ultra. There is more that just clock speeds setting them apart.

I thinking you will be happy with the Chem, they are one of Antec's suppliers so they are good stuff.

Back