• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6850/P5K Deluxe/Ballistix Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chizzer

I was having some issue sometime back with adding the new ram to the pc, I had 2 gig of Ballistix 1066 then found online 2 gig of 800 for pretty cheap... but when I put the new 2 gigs in Vista would just freeze left and right, finally I decided to do a cmos reset with the jumper and tested the system on Xp 64 and seemed to be working fine, so I upgrade to Vista X64 seems all is perfect again.

I noticed before doing the cmos reset with the jumper if I ran Prime my cpu would get up to almost 70 according to core temp... after doing the cmos reset I only peak now at about 55... what would cause the drop in temp by doing a reset? I haven't changed my cooling except for my case has a side fan that's always been there, but I added the tunnel thing to cover over the cpu so the cool air is forced directly on the cpu instead of just from inside the case. Would that really make that much of a difference?

Well a CMOS reset will put you back at stock, so if you were OCed before your temps should drop a lot if you go back to stock settings.

Well a CMOS reset will put you back at stock, so if you were OCed before your temps should drop a lot if you go back to stock settings.

I know that, but I changed the settings back to 3.6ghz oc.

You're running the P5K-D? I'm pretty sure there is no CMOS jumper on the board. They made a different way to reset the bios. I think the jumper you are refering to is something different. I'm not at home right now so I can't check the exact name. If your temps fluctuated like that I would go ahead and flash the bios. Could be giving you incorrect readings.

You're running the P5K-D? I'm pretty sure there is no CMOS jumper on the board. They made a different way to reset the bios. I think the jumper you are refering to is something different. I'm not at home right now so I can't check the exact name. If your temps fluctuated like that I would go ahead and flash the bios. Could be giving you incorrect readings.

The jumper is the one that had RTC or something like that labeled on it...same jumper as my old P5LD2, and when I do that jumper and turn the system back on it tells me " Cmos checksum bad" and to reset everything...

The temps aren't fluctuating anymore, but I noticed it was reading less then before, also my Tjunction is now 85 instead of reading as 100 before as well.

The jumper is the one that had RTC or something like that labeled on it...same jumper as my old P5LD2, and when I do that jumper and turn the system back on it tells me " Cmos checksum bad" and to reset everything...

The temps aren't fluctuating anymore, but I noticed it was reading less then before, also my Tjunction is now 85 instead of reading as 100 before as well.

Speaking of flashing bios, how long does it take for a bios to be removed from "beta"... seems like once the other boards came out there are slacking on this board... Do Asus have an option to allow you to get the Premium version since it basically replaced the deluxe or is suppose to be "better"

Weird, I did that jumper once and I couldn't get the system to boot for like 45 minutes. :shrug:

Weird, I did that jumper once and I couldn't get the system to boot for like 45 minutes. :shrug:

Yeah I pull the battery, toss the jumper over for 5-10 seconds... jumper back over 1-2 and battery in, power up and away it went never had any issues with it..

there is a setting in the bios that changes the way the bios reads the temps. Its default is off, so it was probably on. I can't remember the name of it right now though. can someone help me out with that?

I do remember seeing this peci and I never touched it before it's always been on...so I know I didn't touch that...

Either way all seems to be running fine and doesn't reach the 70 degrees like it was under load... I recently dropped it back down to 3.4ghz figured that would hold me over till I get the proper cooling...

Mine has always been disabled, maybe your lastest flash has it enabled by default instead? That would account for temp reading changes for sure.

That 70C seems ridiculously hot for the clock though. Are you on the stock cooler and what Vc? If it dropped to 55C after resetting CMOS, something definitely changed, either the reading or a voltage (Vc?). Just for the record, you should ALWAYS reset CMOS after flashing a new BIOS just to make sure all options from the new BIOS are loaded/defaulted correctly.

So, let me ask, do you have your Vc set manually or are you relying on the AUTO setting? Do NOT use CPU Voltage set to AUTO in BIOS. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to hit that 3.6 clock stable with 1.275-1.350Vc. Set the Vc manually if you haven't and test to find the lowest stable Vc.

Mine has always been disabled, maybe your lastest flash has it enabled by default instead? That would account for temp reading changes for sure.

That 70C seems ridiculously hot for the clock though. Are you on the stock cooler and what Vc? If it dropped to 55C after resetting CMOS, something definitely changed, either the reading or a voltage (Vc?). Just for the record, you should ALWAYS reset CMOS after flashing a new BIOS just to make sure all options from the new BIOS are loaded/defaulted correctly.

So, let me ask, do you have your Vc set manually or are you relying on the AUTO setting? Do NOT use CPU Voltage set to AUTO in BIOS. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to hit that 3.6 clock stable with 1.275-1.350Vc. Set the Vc manually if you haven't and test to find the lowest stable Vc.

Yeah I am on stock cooling at the moment, I want the Ultra 120 Extreme but no one local can order it... As for Cpu voltage when stock I was running the "auto" setting...I have since dropped the specs back to stock speed... I was running stable at 3.6 however was using vcore of approx 1.45 I did drop it abit to abot 1.432 I think... but then notice when I would run prime I would get errors...then if I bumped it back up all would be good.. I'd like to run the cpu as low vcore as possible to keep my cooler... What would be the best cpu stress test to run?

Back