• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

College Notebook Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wickedbear

Hi!

I recently got enrolled into UT, and am still adjusting to the campus life. However, the buisness professors talk way too fast for me to take notes with paper, so im going to invest in a laptop.

The only problem is, ive never owned a laptop so any help pushing me int he right direction with this purchase would be greatly appreciated.

What im looking for:

-Aprox 1000$, can go over or under a bit.
-Fast
-Does not need to be a graphics macho machine, ill be doing very little gaming besides maybe wc3 which can be run by onboard I believe. (PC in the apt for gaming)
-LIGHT. UT's campus is gigantic, and only way around is walking.
-Needs to be able to compile fairly quickly.
-durable

How are the x2 turions and athlons compared to the duos in notebooks?

All comments greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time. :beer:

Last edited:
Dell Vostro. You can get one fully loaded for $1000. Comes with the same as my 1520 in my sig but the 2.2GHz processor.

You're looking for something with X3100 graphics, then, and you probably want to keep the screen around the 14" mark if you're going to be carrying it around a lot. I just purchased a Lenovo T61, and it looks like it's going to be an excellent laptop. Lenovo makes quality equipment, for sure. The Vostro 1400, like ps2cho recommended, is also a good choice.

Intel processors are a little faster and use a little less power. I would definitely recommend getting an Intel CPU.

I would definitely recommend a Lenevo.

They are durable and decent specs for the price.

It will last you a long long time.

My dell is ok, but not nearly as sturdy.

I would definitely recommend a Lenevo.

They are durable and decent specs for the price.

It will last you a long long time.

My dell is ok, but not nearly as sturdy.

QFT

Drop 1000 dollars on a base X-series thinkpad, you won't regret it. THey start at 2.5 pounds, battery like with extended battery is 7+ hours, and they can run regular C2D up to a t7500 i believe, or maybe only to t7300. They have x3100 graphics and they come standard with ABGN wifi. The big drawback is their pretty goddamn pricey, the base model is probably close to a 1000 dollars.

The T61 in the 14" flavor is a little bit bigger than the X61 (14.1" vs. 12.") and a fair amount cheaper. If you're looking for ultraportable, though, the X61 is great. My housemate has one and it's an excellent laptop.

Thanks for the reply guys, I picked up a T61. With the price I paid for it after customizing I could have got an x-series. I don't know if i could handle a 12" screen though, im spoiled by my 22" on a daily basis.

Good pick...I have a t61 and I absolutely love it. The laptop is light and easy to carry around. Battery life is pretty good too. My favorite thing about it is the built quality. I can definatly feel the difference between my laptop and my mother's dell laptop.

Good pick...I have a t61 and I absolutely love it. The laptop is light and easy to carry around. Battery life is pretty good too. My favorite thing about it is the built quality. I can definatly feel the difference between my laptop and my mother's dell laptop.

I'm sure the build quality is better, but for the same specs, the dell is a couple hundred $$ cheaper. So you gotta figure out if the extra durability is worth a couple hundred $.

You could get dell Vostro 1400 from dell outlet. I know it's dell, quality might be not on par with others but what I like about dell is warranty. If anything brakes within two days is fixed.

I'm sure the build quality is better, but for the same specs, the dell is a couple hundred $$ cheaper. So you gotta figure out if the extra durability is worth a couple hundred $.

That is true...when I purchased my laptop I bought it and plan on having it last 3 to 4 years. The parts will get outdated but it is only needed for websurfing, typing, and some programming. So for me high build quality was my number one priority. I figure spending a couple hundred now is a lot cheaper than needed to spend another thousand in a year or two....

seriously vostro fully loaded is not 1000 ...... get a leveno (not sure how o spell it) it's the best brand for school around lasts long and not too hot...... dell's get a little too hot if yer just wanting to take notes on it..... if yer wanting some games deff a dell..... but that's my 2 cents

Last edited:
lenovo's cust support is second to none.

I had a problem with their tech support so i called up lenovo in raleigh.

They gave me the number to the head marketing manager, she is taking care of my hardware issue personally.

Back