• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 shows as 1600MHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DareMe55

So I finally get my new computer running after RMAing the video card. and I install CPU-Z to find this:

Also my ram is at 5-5-5-18 I think... This is the ram I bought, shouldnt it be 4-4-4-12
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

Im kinda a noob when it comes to this stuff, but how do I make sure my computer is running at its fullest?

My motherboard is gigabyte P35-DS3R. I'm also getting around 20 FPS in command and conquer 3 with maxed out graphics on 1280x1024. Is this right? Im about to run 3dmark06 and go to sleep. I'll try and reply in the morning.

speedstep is the reason its only running at 1600MHz, once you put a load on the cpu it will jump up to its normal speed.

The bios for this motherboard is weird... I cant find anything, Ive been told to change the voltage for my ram and I cant find out where to do it. I looked for speedstep too. and would it cause damage if I turned that off?

btw, I hit 9667 3dmarks with 3DMARK06. Is that decent for no overclocks?

You have to hit Ctrl+F1 from within the bios to reveal the hidden options. The reason it runs your ram at the slower timings is so that it will boot at the default memory voltage of 1.8v. Most high-end ram requires 2.0v+ at it's rated timings and might not boot at 1.8, so the SPD values are relaxed.

The bios for this motherboard is weird... I cant find anything, Ive been told to change the voltage for my ram and I cant find out where to do it. I looked for speedstep too. and would it cause damage if I turned that off?

btw, I hit 9667 3dmarks with 3DMARK06. Is that decent for no overclocks?

Depends on your vid card.

You have to hit Ctrl+F1 from within the bios to reveal the hidden options. The reason it runs your ram at the slower timings is so that it will boot at the default memory voltage of 1.8v. Most high-end ram requires 2.0v+ at it's rated timings and might not boot at 1.8, so the SPD values are relaxed.

with the link I posted Im guessing the voltage is 2.1

I found out how to change the 5-5-5-18 to w/e, but I cant find out how to change the voltage.

ok I changed the voltage to +0.3v, but the ram is still running at 5-5-5-18. Do I change the 5s to 4-4-4-12? a friend of mine wanted to make sure I didn't "undervolt" it.

Yep...change the timings to 4-4-4-12 manually. See if the system will boot at the default 1.8 volts. If it does and it is stable then you don't need to raise the voltage. If it isn't stable though try increasing it to 2.0 or 2.1. Like it was said before a lot of the higher end ram with tigher timings require more than the default 1.8 volts to be stable.

What kind of video card do you have? If you're trying to max out the details on C&C 3 but don't have a powerful enough video card, that could be the reason its running at 20fps.

Like the others said, make sure you disable C1E and Speedstep options. That will allow it to run at its full speed. To stress test, you can either run 2 instances of Orthos or the new Prime94, which tests all 4 cores.

Yep...change the timings to 4-4-4-12 manually. See if the system will boot at the default 1.8 volts. If it does and it is stable then you don't need to raise the voltage. If it isn't stable though try increasing it to 2.0 or 2.1. Like it was said before a lot of the higher end ram with tigher timings require more than the default 1.8 volts to be stable.

Yeah for high end RAM you have to manually set the voltage and timings.

Also, all gigabyte motherboards require you to hit ctrl F1 to unlock hidden settings - most stupid feature ever.

Run memtest86+ just to make sure that everything is stable memory wise

With my intel D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 I had to go in the Bios and bring my ram down to 4-4-4-12 and run it at 2.0v. It' helped my 3dmark06 out a bit in doing this as well. I didn't know that I had to manually do this either, I thought it should happen automatically but I guess that would make too much sence ;-)

Thanks that worked. its at 4-4-4-12 with 2.1v
What kind of video card do you have? If you're trying to max out the details on C&C 3 but don't have a powerful enough video card, that could be the reason its running at 20fps.
Like the others said, make sure you disable C1E and Speedstep options. That will allow it to run at its full speed. To stress test, you can either run 2 instances of Orthos or the new Prime94, which tests all 4 cores.
8800 GTS 640mb, and I disabled the speedstep
Yeah for high end RAM you have to manually set the voltage and timings.
Also, all gigabyte motherboards require you to hit ctrl F1 to unlock hidden settings - most stupid feature ever.
Run memtest86+ just to make sure that everything is stable memory wise

Ill try that.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post back incase something goes wrong, it's showing 2400MHz and 4-4-4-12

BTw, any good software to check my CPU temp? Coretemp shows my cpu running at 60 while my bios shows 30

Last edited:
BTw, any good software to check my CPU temp? Coretemp shows my cpu running at 60 while my bios shows 30

Bios isn't really wrong, it's just that your CPU isn't working at all while in the BIOS so your cpu temp is going to be extremely low. You are moving around in the motherboard's systems, not working the cpu...

Coretemp is good.

Well I was running orthos and cancelled it because it was up in the 65 degree range, and steady rising... I have a B3 q6600. should I reseat it? Or get an aftermarket cooler?

You're cool to Roughly 72, but you absolutely should get an aftermarket cooler. (Thermalright U120 Extreme)

As far as C&C 3, with the rig in my sig, I play it with all %100 in an 8 player map with max AA. The only thing that slows it down even a fraction is a Nuke. :)

Oh, and if you're playin online, the other guys system, if slower then yours, will slow you down too. Sucks.

I think I got 11k 2dmark06 with my 320 GTS, though I wouldn't quote me on that.

EDIT: as far as my ram, mine is rated at 2.2v, but it's running 1.8 no problems with my OC, though the ram is still under spec as I'm running 1:1.

yea coretemp shows around 54 degrees and im just browsing the internet...

Back